PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on outdoor preschool!

smurfette
27-11-2012, 08:28 AM
It's what is on the outside that counts - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 27, 2012 (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2012/1127/1224327137658.html)

Would like to have seen some pics. Sounds great!!

ziggy
27-11-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm not that far from there, wonder if i could drive up to take a look

Odd you should post this today, i'm about to ask playgroup leader why children arent getting out to play. My 4 yr old mindee is so wild just lately and really needs to be outside. By the time we get home it's lunch time then naptime, so we dont get alot of time for outside play. I guess i wont be very popular today but had enough of him running around my house. I'm a big believer in getting children outside in all weathers. when i worked at nursery in england the staff hated me for taking kiddies out so much lol

migimoo
27-11-2012, 10:22 AM
WOW-I wish there had been a school like this around for my son-even now at 9 he'd rather be out in the pouring rain making water chutes from guttering than indoors watching tv!

nikki thomson
27-11-2012, 01:36 PM
It's personal choice isn't it, I don't do rain hate the stuff and I'd be livid if my children were allowed out to play in the weather we've had over the past week or so, they'd be soaked even with proper water proofs and Wellies. Just going from the car park into school the other day they were like drowned rats, loads of the kids were crying as they were so wet. Not my idea of fun at all but if it floats your boat then great. X

mum24
27-11-2012, 01:47 PM
We are out in all weather, unless very strong winds as we had recently, but rain, snow etc makes no difference. We wrap up, and have a great time. I have a mud kitchen in the garden that certainly lives up to its name and I also have camping water containers from the pound shop, there are usually two or three of them that the children use to pour, mix and goodness knows what else. We have picnics at all times of the year (I do find shelter when it is wet). I don't drive so we never use the car. We climb trees - within reason - too.

One of my mindees a few years ago had never walked further than round tesco's shopping with his mum. He came to me in September, I had to make sure he got plenty of rest as he found the 20 minute walk to and from school very tiring, but when sportsday came, he won five of his six races on sports day. Fantastic.

I have just followed the link and seen the article - how fantastic - I want to go and play!!!!

watgem
27-11-2012, 02:59 PM
I love this idea, I would just really like to put it in practice, by getting round the parents who don't approve, being able to afford all the
wet weather/warm gear, as many parents don't seem to have it, and to change the layout of my house and garden lol, also changing the weather here, its always very windy it all needs to be tied down lol