PDA

View Full Version : Planing and observation for 8 months old baby

misssunshine
25-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Hi,
I am newly registered childminder(waiting for inspection) and this is my first post to the forum. I am looking after an 8 months old baby. I did the tracking sheet on 24 of October and for individual plan I put what I will be doing with her in general to cover the 7 areas of learning for example playing Peekaboo etc. Since then I've been filling every week a planing sheet and I am not sure whether I could include something which was not on that individual plan for example clapping game with her. Will I be mark down by Ofsted for this as this was not on my individual plan. I am really confused now how to do this as the baby has progressed since then I did the individual plan.

Thanks

The Juggler
25-11-2012, 09:48 PM
hiya hon

firstly you only need to cover the 3 prime areas of learning - so lots of workload cut straight off :clapping::clapping:

secondly, of course you won't get marked down for doing stuff not written down or NOT doing stuff that was written down. Brownie points for going with the child than sticking with a plan. that's what its all about.

Plan some stuff to interest baby, if they hate it, drop it. if they love something, extend it with other similar activitites.

How I would do it is have your plan of activities to extend her your peekaboo etc. You'l then have some obs over next few weeks maybe around these activiites, maybe around other things you've noticed. Then you plan off the back of these. They may show progress in one area OR they may show progress in another area all together. :thumbsup:

miss mopple
25-11-2012, 09:49 PM
As long as you are tracking how the child is developing how you plan and record it is up to you. Some childminders do no written planning, others do lots. Keep what you do do realistic and manageable. Personally I am a go with the flow childminder, and the only real planning I do for little ones is individual next steps on their termly plan. Ofsted didn't have a problem with this at my last inspection. The activities I provide link in and support the goals we are working towards, but I don't write everything down. If you do extra stuff beyond your plans and want to add that then Ofsted will be fine with it- planning should be flexible and child led alot of the time

With under 3's your focus will be more on the 3 prime areas of learning. The other 4 tend to come in more the older they get.

Hope that helps a bit.

Good luck.

misssunshine
25-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks a lot . Any ideas how to extend Peekaboo game and kind of obs ?

The Juggler
25-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks a lot . Any ideas how to extend Peekaboo game and kind of obs ?

extending peekaboo you could go for 2 angles

for CL angle, taking turns for conversation. so every time baby babbles, copy it back or talk back to her and see if she responds

for a PSED angle, maybe exploring her sense of self, you could get a large mirror so she can see herself and explore her image?

misssunshine
25-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Brilliant!Thank you so much.........

jo.jo76
25-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Extension of peek a boo games is also related to children's understanding of object permanence. Hiding objects under a cloth and seeing if she can find it, jack in the box or pop up puppets, baby books with mirrors in, we also sing songs using scarves