PDA

View Full Version : RA for 3 under three on the school run

Katiekoo
25-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Hi, I am taking on some new one year olds in January (on different days!), I'm just doing RA and I'm interested in how others manage the school run with 3 under three.

I'll have 1x one year old, 2x two year olds. The walk is quite long (15/20 mins to get there).
I have a few options as I can fit everyone in my car and then transfer to a buggy, or I can walk with 2 in the P & T double, one walking/buggy board which would be slow and heavy to push!

I'm feeling pretty confident about my little ones cooperating and meeting all their needs etc, not sure how to write it though!
How would you say you manage 3 littlies on the school run for a risk assessment?

watgem
25-11-2012, 09:28 AM
I have a long walk to school and can't drive so when I've had 3 little ones I've used a triple buggy, as it has been safer and better fr them during bad weather, however it would depend on each individual child's needs and yours too! perhaps you could do a risk assessment for both methods that would give you the option to use either? then on a lovely summers day you could walk but if its very cold/wet you could drive, that way the LO on the buggy board won't get cold and wet, hope that helpsxxx

bunyip
25-11-2012, 09:39 AM
I also use a triple buggy. One of my best investments, it conveniently converts between double and triple seating, which is handy as I only have 3 lo's very occasionally. The overall design means it's actually much easier to use than my single. :)

dette
25-11-2012, 09:45 AM
im gonna be in the same boat.ive LO nearly 2 and just started a 20mnth but hes tiny so bought a new double,now got 2 babies starting 8mnth and 11 month so will have combinations of these 4 ,i bought nearly 2yr a snowsuit and snow boots but not sure what to do about 20mnth.think ill use backpack,ive not got a long walk but have school run at 3 then home for 10 min then school again at half 3 ..real pain,no option to drive as takes longer,one way system and bad parking.dont like them getting cold while we're hangin about ,my kids are always last out,im sure they stay behind to clean the floor and stack the chairs !!!

samb
25-11-2012, 03:35 PM
It will really depend on the children as many 2 year olds would be fine to walk. I look after a lo who will be 3 in Feb and he has been walking my 15 minutes school run since Easter so he was about 26months. Personally I find it really awkward getting lots of little ones in and out of the car and when it's such a short run it seems easier to walk. It will be difficult if you don't really know what the little ones will be capable of yet but I don't think I would run out to buy a triple yet. Maybe speak to the parents of those you don't know who might be used to walking everywhere.

The Juggler
25-11-2012, 10:17 PM
i'd go with a double and abuggy board and alernate the 2 year olds onto the board :thumbsup:

bunyip
26-11-2012, 08:18 AM
My grandchildren used to love the buggy board, unless it was just another "whose turn is it" thing to fight over.

I never liked it cos I have a long stride and was always stepping on the wretched thing. At least it was an incentive for me to get them walking.

[Clumsy bunyip. :doh:]

The biggest problem we have on school run is the amount of stuff the schoolies have to schlepp around in their bags every day. I'm sure I never had to carry 16lb of kit to infant school in my day. I tend to take the double/triple buggy just to load up with bags, cos they're all happy walking if they don't have to carry stuff. :)