PDA

View Full Version : medication for ear infection that does not have childs name on

vickyschildmind
23-11-2012, 04:07 PM
hi this is my first post I am at a loss my mindee went a and e last night with mum and apparently was given antibiotics that have to be given 3 times a day but doctor has not put child's name on medication! Mum has text me to ask if i can give and I have said only once doctor or pharmacist has put child's name on medication as this medicine could be for anyone. Mum has text me now to say she will take next week off then to give medicine and not pay me!

cathtee
23-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Have you got a policy for medicines, if you have it should state that medicines will only be given if prescribed by doctor and labled
for the child. Also your contract should say about non attendance being paid for when it is not due to you not being available therefore
parent has signed to say she will pay. Show her the policy and explain that we are not allowed to give medicines under these circumstances
hope you can get it sorted

rachelle
23-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Was child with you today? If my own are at A and E (as we were last night) they get the next day off school at least as they are errrr ill!

I agree with what you've said to mum, to protect yourself but might be inclined to give her a ring and explain that it may sound pedantic but you do have to follow protocol and would she be able to pop to the chemist and get them to pop the name on for you. Or I would get her to write up the visit to AE, the outcome and sign to say this is the child's medicine and she takes responsibility for you administering x dose at yz.

hth :)

vickyschildmind
24-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Thank you for replying

I have previously spoken with mum and dad about not being able to give medication from doctor without childs name on it and given my medicine policy (as they wanted me to give meds before and mum went and got name put on but for some reason she will not this time) and this is why i'm so cross as I feel in these circumstances mum should have made sure childs name put on medicine knowing exactly what i would say! I'm also surprised that doctors are giving out meds without the childs name on. I think I'm gona count my losses give her refund for next week and call it a day as I've had other issues mum she is just not reasonable shame!

bunyip
24-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Sorry to hear you have a mum being so much trouble.

IIWY I'd speak with my insurer. They'll probably tell you that you need to have the child's name on prescribed medicines in order to be covered. That might just pacify the mum and help her to see sense.

Then again, it is difficult when a parent can only see their own side of things, or comes out with arguments like, "I gave you permission, I'm not going to sue you, so what more do you need?" (or similar.) It's made worse by the fact that people get so used to using over-the-counter products that don't have a name on. Also, I've been given medicines by the hospital's pharmacy (through A&E) and they don't seem to put a name on like they would at a chemist's premises. :(

Hope it works out (or at least you get a more considerate family next time.) :)

cathtee
24-11-2012, 05:34 PM
If you have already been paid for next week I wouldn't refund as she has took the decision not to send the lo, you have not refused
to have child. like you say she new you wouldn't give the lo medicine without the name on the bottle so what was she expecting.

I hope you get things sorted and if you have issues with her then give her the 4 weeks notice and leave it at that.