PDA

View Full Version : Assistant may not need to do first aid course?

hectors house
23-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Just rang Ofsted to find out how to register my teenage daughter to be my assistant - don't want to take on any more children just would be handy to have her registered in case of emergency. I asked if she would have to do first aid training as she is already qualified as a lifeguard and has regularly mandatory monthly staff training on dry side (first aid) and wet side (getting someone out of pool and administering first aid for medical problem, injury or drowning) - the lady says it is not them who specifies whether she needs to do paediatric first aid course or not and I need to ask my Development Officer! How come then "if it isn't them who specify" that you get marked unsatisfactory if your first aid qualification is out of date?

Have just printed out EY2 form which looks the same as I had to fill in when she was 16 - is this the right form for an assistant?

sarah707
23-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Ofsted haven't explained it very well.

It is a requirement of the EYFS that assistants have first aid IF they are going to be left with children on their own - because it is a requirement that children are always accompanied by someone who is first aid trained in the provision and on outings - requirement 3.24.

The EYFS also states that first aid training must be local authority approved - hence why you need to check whether your LA approve your assistant's course or not - requirement 3.24.

So, DofE wrote EYFS and Ofsted's remit is to check you are working within the requirements NOT to set new requirements. That is why they normally answer questions with - check what it says in the EYFS!!

I used the same form for ds when I registered him a while ago. However, I was not allowed to register him (not changing ratios or anything - just wanted him as an assistant) until he was 17. Ofsted referred me to requirement 3.28 and though I said that didn't actually say 'an assistant must be 17' the helpline person was adamant that was the case.

Hth :D

hectors house
23-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Thank you - will contact my development officer - actually no, she is as useless as a chocolate teapot will ring the council direct!