PDA

View Full Version : Can someone confirm this

JCrakers
23-11-2012, 08:06 AM
I always understood that in the new eyfs it says that written learning journeys don't have to be done for school children.

Wrap-around and holiday care: the framework now makes clear that the EYFS requirements do not need to be delivered in full when children spend limited amounts of time in a setting.

You still have to provide opportunities for them but you don't have to document it, cutting down on paperwork.

There is a childminder up the road who only does school drop offs/pick ups so will only have foundation children not under 5's.
She's been told that she needs to do a LJ for them.

Now I'm confused as I haven't been continuing mine when they start school since sept.

Boris
23-11-2012, 08:07 AM
I thought that once they were in full-time school we no longer had to do LJ for them. I am hoping that's the case anyway!

bunyip
23-11-2012, 08:37 AM
I always understood that in the new eyfs it says that written learning journeys don't have to be done for school children.

Wrap-around and holiday care: the framework now makes clear that the EYFS requirements do not need to be delivered in full when children spend limited amounts of time in a setting.

You still have to provide opportunities for them but you don't have to document it, cutting down on paperwork.

There is a childminder up the road who only does school drop offs/pick ups so will only have foundation children not under 5's.
She's been told that she needs to do a LJ for them.

Now I'm confused as I haven't been continuing mine when they start school since sept.

Every time I see "I've been told" or "my friend has been told" the first thing I want to know is, "who told them?" Call me a cynic, but I often find it's some unqualified person who has never bothered to read EYFS or else some DO (who probably hasn't bothered to read EYFS either. :mad:)

AFAIK, the relevant sections of the EYFS statutory framework that apply would be 1.3 , 1.7 , and 1.9 .

Btw, whilst I realise most of us do them, I've been unable to find any direct reference to "learning journeys/journals" anywhere in the EYFS document.

The short answer is to do what's best for the child, and keep some evidence of it for inspection (eg. photos, artwork, scrapbooks, notes from parental reviews, etc.) But I'm sure that's what you're already doing. :)

sarah707
23-11-2012, 08:55 AM
By whom????

It depends on who told her -

If her local DW was advising her to do them because otherwise she won't have any evidence for Ofsted of how she uses the EYFS then fine... as she doesn't have younger children that's probably very sensible.

If parents want her to continue with them that is their choice - the EYFS does say we need to ask parents what they want us to do with their child and follow their wishes.

Any other reasons... slightly dodgy and she should check her facts first! :D

sarah707
23-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Btw, whilst I realise most of us do them, I've been unable to find any direct reference to "learning journeys/journals" anywhere in the EYFS document.

You are absolutely right Bunyip - because DofE and Ofsted do not prescribe how we record children's learning and development through the EYFS they do not tell us that we must put together a file and it must be called a Learning Journey...

Indeed, some childminders prefer to make photo type albums or scrap books with their children and I have not heard of this affecting their inspection results... as long as they include everything required by the Eyfs framework.

:D

JCrakers
23-11-2012, 09:22 AM
She was told by her DO that she has to do them along with pay the ££ for keeping photos that she must take to put in them.

If I was her and only did school children pick ups I'd be inclined to do yr1 and above if this is the case.

sarah707
23-11-2012, 09:33 AM
She was told by her DO that she has to do them along with pay the ££ for keeping photos that she must take to put in them.

If I was her and only did school children pick ups I'd be inclined to do yr1 and above if this is the case.

Yes but that brings problems of its own because if she doesn't have evidence of EYFS then they will de-register her - after 3 years I think it is - and she will only be inspected on the Childcare Register which might / will affect her chances of taking EYFS aged children in the future if she changes her mind or a parent wants her to have a younger sibling etc.

She should get back to her DO - was it advice (in which case she was probably being helpful) or telling (in which case she is wrong)?

xx

silvermist
23-11-2012, 09:54 AM
My schoolie aged 5 has a scrapbook not a LJ. I and he put various pictures, drawings etc in it. I also write things he has said in it and make small observations, notes really, of things he does and link to eyfs. Is that ok? x

blue bear
25-11-2012, 05:59 PM
I have read it that we don't have to deliver the full eyfs, in that we don't need to do full planning, next steps and links to eyfs. Just making sure we follow child's interests, provide for his interests at. Ine, school and home, by talking to child teacher and parent.
But whilst we don't have to do full eyfs there is nothing saying you can't, so when mindee goes to school next September I will probably keep up links, obs, planning, next steps but in a much more scaled down way as his main day is at school and they will complete his final assessment.
All my school children have scrap books for their photos and artwork, they choose what goes in them, I really don't have to do anything for their scrap books to be honest.