PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Pox

LittleVoice
22-11-2012, 09:43 PM
This isnt about childminding as such but can anyone please recommend anything for little girl. She is 18 months.
She has horrendous amounts of chicken pox inside her vagina and all round the outside and tops of her legs and now they have appeared on her lips and inside her mouth.
She seems to be in lots of pain and is very unsettled. She is dosed up on calpol and piriton, she has had bepanthen on her bottom and currently is covered in calomine lotion, any other ideas to help soothe her private area??

alwaysright
22-11-2012, 09:47 PM
has she been seen by the doctor?? if its that bad i would make sure she is seen to she gets proper medical advice, hope shes feeling better soon though, i had it myself as an adult very bad like this, they were everywhere and its sooo painful!

cathtee
22-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Poor little mite, the only thing i can think of although not sure if suitable for lo, but you could get cotton wool in tepid water and put it
against the outer area of the vagina, this may cool the area has the doctor not suggested anything, if not ring nhs direct and ask their advice.

Hope she gets better soon

jo.jo76
22-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Calamine lotion dries the skin out and can make it more painful and itchy. ViraSoothe Chickenpox Relief Cooling Gel is generally recommended, if you search it online there is an advice sheet etc Care ViraSoothe (http://www.itchi.co.uk/)

Poor little one, hope she gets over it soon x

Ali56
22-11-2012, 10:00 PM
I would go to see the GP, just to have a record and to keep an eye on everything. Poor little mite, I hope she feels better soon. Bicarbonate of soda in the bath water is supposed to help relieve the itching. I found that my daughter was happiest in the bath, where she found the water very soothing. Keep it cool(but not too cool) though as water that is to warm will make her itchier.
My daughter had it really badly, but also with spots on her eyeballs and down her throat. The most horrendous dose of chicken pox I have ever seen. She ended up with antibiotics for infected spots and almost being admitted to the hospital. It really took us by surprise as our other 2 children were ill but nothing like her.

QualityCare
22-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Baking soda in a warm bath helps.

LittleVoice
22-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Thank you, the doctor wont see her for another 48 hours as apparantl there is nothing they can do for chicken pox unless they become infected then they might see her - my letter of disgust and complaint has already been written and sent.

If it wouldnt waste so much money id take her to a&e to be seen. Her vagina is nearly bleeding from the spots due to her scratching and then weeing/pooing and when i have to clean her. Ive stopped using wipes and am putting her in the bath when shes dirty or wet but that doesnt seem to be helping much anymore either.
Its just heartbreaking seeing her scream so much in pain.

Im now sending my hubby to tesco to stock up on anything and everything that may help her.

Thank you for your advice. xx

LittleVoice
22-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I would go to see the GP, just to have a record and to keep an eye on everything. Poor little mite, I hope she feels better soon. Bicarbonate of soda in the bath water is supposed to help relieve the itching. I found that my daughter was happiest in the bath, where she found the water very soothing. Keep it cool(but not too cool) though as water that is to warm will make her itchier.
My daughter had it really badly, but also with spots on her eyeballs and down her throat. The most horrendous dose of chicken pox I have ever seen. She ended up with antibiotics for infected spots and almost being admitted to the hospital. It really took us by surprise as our other 2 children were ill but nothing like her.

My eldest daughter who is 3 1/2 is just getting over it, she still has the spots. But all together my eldest only has 13 spots but all of her got so badly infected she had to have them darined and was put on fluoxacillin to get rid of the infection yet she wasn't poorly with it. 2 weeks later to the day that my eldest got spots my youngest has got them yet she has 33 spots alone on her face, i counted 59 on her back and hadnt finished counting them when she moved and there were a lot more and on her tummy, well you can barely see any skin at all.

Her private parts are just so red raw i have never seen them this bad, especially now she has them in her mouth. Poor girl is a thumb sucker too so the factshe cant do that at the minute is making is a whole lot worse for her. I just wish I could take it all away from her.

Porridge
22-11-2012, 10:26 PM
How awful. May not be much help but I was advised by pharmacist to get calamine in aquaeous cream, so it doesn't dry out, and also to use children's Piriton - to help stop the itching. Hope she's better soon xx

cathtee
22-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Thank you, the doctor wont see her for another 48 hours as apparantl there is nothing they can do for chicken pox unless they become infected then they might see her - my letter of disgust and complaint has already been written and sent.

If it wouldnt waste so much money id take her to a&e to be seen. Her vagina is nearly bleeding from the spots due to her scratching and then weeing/pooing and when i have to clean her. Ive stopped using wipes and am putting her in the bath when shes dirty or wet but that doesnt seem to be helping much anymore either.
Its just heartbreaking seeing her scream so much in pain.

Im now sending my hubby to tesco to stock up on anything and everything that may help her.

Thank you for your advice. xx

I wouldn't worry about wasting money (i assume you mean nhs funds) if your lo is in so much pain take her even if they say nothing
can be done at least you have tried, they may be able to give you something to help her stop scratching and help her sleep

Ali56
22-11-2012, 11:36 PM
My eldest daughter who is 3 1/2 is just getting over it, she still has the spots. But all together my eldest only has 13 spots but all of her got so badly infected she had to have them darined and was put on fluoxacillin to get rid of the infection yet she wasn't poorly with it. 2 weeks later to the day that my eldest got spots my youngest has got them yet she has 33 spots alone on her face, i counted 59 on her back and hadnt finished counting them when she moved and there were a lot more and on her tummy, well you can barely see any skin at all.

Her private parts are just so red raw i have never seen them this bad, especially now she has them in her mouth. Poor girl is a thumb sucker too so the factshe cant do that at the minute is making is a whole lot worse for her. I just wish I could take it all away from her.

My daughter was a thumbsucker too, still is at 10yrs old! Awful that she's in such a state in the first place but to not be able to comfort themsevles with the thumb sucking just makes it all the more distressing. I felt even more awful as I had taken her to play with a friend so she could catch it and 'get it over and done with', she was 2 1/2 at time. Worst decision ever and I still feel bad about it.
I would def take her to be seen, the doctor has no right to tell you to wait another 48hrs. If her vagina is so raw she'll end up with an infection too. Might be worth a call to NHS direct, I bet you aren't getting any sleep anyway :(

FussyElmo
23-11-2012, 06:43 AM
Personally if she is in that much discomfort/bleeding from such a sensitive area I would be back on the phone if they still refuse to see her. I would be informing them I would be taking her to the a and e as they refused to see her. Get the name of the seceratary and put in a verbal compliant and get their compliants preceedure.

Have you got a walk in centre/drop in doctors in your area maybe a visit to them?

mum22
23-11-2012, 07:23 AM
My daughter had it also, metanium cream was the only thing that helped, messy stuff but I swear by it now x

kindredspirits
23-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Just tell the gp receptionist that you think they are infected and then get a professionals advice, they may be able to give stronger pain relief.