PDA

View Full Version : 4yr old in front seat on booster???

ziggy
22-11-2012, 06:49 PM
would any of you let a 4yr old sit in front seat on booster?

I've checked that this is legal.

My friend is a childminder and was having a very stressful morning, I have permission to take B aged 4 in an emergency. I used to mind this child but had to let him go in june 2011 due to behaviour problems.

anyway yesterday i offered to help friend and drop B off after playgroup. I had my own 3 mindees in back of car so put B on booster in front seat, he was biggest of 4 children.

Apparently his mummy complained to his minder about him being in front seat, I've checked once again that this is not illegal and was quite upset as i would never put a child at risk

Does anyone else do this?

cathtee
22-11-2012, 07:00 PM
I have done it on a rare occassion if I have had to go somewhere before nursery pickup and not had time to go home first to then
walk to collect, then I have put 4 yr on front seat, full booster with back, and only literally 2 minute drive.

I suppose this could raise a point of should we get permission from parents before we put lo on front seat,

ziggy
22-11-2012, 07:07 PM
my permission forms for car travel state children will be in age appropriate seat, which he was. Hadnt thought about mentioning that i may have to use front seat

jo.jo76
22-11-2012, 07:10 PM
They are obviously safer in the back but if you have no choice then they have to sit in the front as long as they are in the right seat for their weight/height/age.
I have a 6yr old that has to sit in the front on a friday as I have 4 in cars seats and my pram takes up the other seat in the back so there is no other option but to put her in the front.
In my view there was no choice if all the back seats were full and the mum should hopefully understand that.

hectors house
22-11-2012, 07:16 PM
I have 3 seats with integral straps in the back for children up to 4 and then on days when I have 4 children I put the oldest or largest child on booster with back support on the front seat. Quite often the parents arrive with children in car seat in front anyway and they know I have only got a standard car not a 7 seater - it isn't illegal, I state in policies that children will always be in age appropriate seats and they always are. I rarely go further than a 7 mile radius of town anyway, not like i'm bombing up and down a motorway.

rickysmiths
22-11-2012, 07:21 PM
my permission forms for car travel state children will be in age appropriate seat, which he was. Hadnt thought about mentioning that i may have to use front seat

This is exactly what my permissions say. It is safe to put them in the front seat as long as the seat is suitable and you follow the car manufacturer's recommendations. In my care they say to push the front seat as far back as possible and in the fully upright position. I can also turn my Air Bag off.

My parents know I use the front seat and no I don't tell them every time I use it.

I always use a high backed booster and usually my Britax Evolva 123 in the front.

I had a two year old in the front today!

ziggy
22-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Well, emergency or not, I wont be offering to help out with the child again

As for using front seat, will mention it in my next newsletter and send out print offs i have with regard to law about car seats/ children

blue bear
22-11-2012, 08:02 PM
I have always checked with parents they are ok with me putting their child in the front seat, my air bag does not turn off, think that is why I ask. All my parents have always looked at me like I'm mad for asking to be honest.

eddie
22-11-2012, 08:46 PM
I have put older children in the front seat and the rear facing baby seats but I am able to turn off the air bags in my car. It's not in my permissions as I do the same as above - age appropriate seats.

AliceK
22-11-2012, 09:23 PM
I have used the front seat lots of times in the past. I always put the biggest child in that seat, obviously in an age appropriate car seat. I do not and will not ask parents if I can do this. I am not stupid, I would never put a child at risk and they should trust me. I would prefer all children to be in the back seats but sometimes needs must.

xxx

sarak31
22-11-2012, 09:50 PM
I was advised that the issue with small children in the front is that the force of the airbag if deployed can cause broken bones. So it's best to get it disabled, or turn off with a key as I can in mine. I would actually prefer to have a child in the front next to me rather than in the two seats in the boot (I've a 7 seater) as I think it's safer as I can get to them if they are sick / ill or if there is an accident to help them. I always put my eldest kids in the two back seats and the younger ones in the middle and next to me.

k1rstie
22-11-2012, 10:35 PM
The front seat is always the last to be filled in my car. But one the occassions where I do need the seat I usually will have my daughter there. She is 6 1/2, she always uses the booster, and I measured her last week, and she has just gone over the height measurment for not needing a car seat (I keep meaning to check this height on the internet but I keep forgetting) (she also has size 3 feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

AnneS
23-11-2012, 07:37 AM
I allow school aged children to sit in the front, i have 2 at mo including my own so they take turns. The 3 year old wants to sit in front but i want to wait a little longer as he doesnt always behave in the car as well as i would expect a child sat in the front too. Tbh i prefer it that way so they dont bicker as they are separated lol

Maybe he doesnt sit well with the mum and shes worried he will push buttons or pull the handbrake or something?