PDA

View Full Version : siblings sharing same medication

littlecheeks
22-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Hi all, just wanted to check I was on right in my thinking on this.

Parent dropped off siblings this morning (one had been ill this week) and said can you give them both anti-biotics please, medication and permission is in there bag. She explained the other sibling was starting to get chest infection too and was anti-biotics too. After she left I now realise what she meant, there was only 1 bottle for original child and they have put second child on the anti-b themselves.
The bottle has been prescribed by dr for the first child and I am not happy to give it to the other one as well.
Any thoughts?

AnneS
22-11-2012, 11:13 AM
hmmm i wouldnt want to do that either tbh

sarah707
22-11-2012, 11:30 AM
No no no no no no no .... :panic:

The child who has the prescription gets the medication. The other child goes to the doctor for their own.

Hth :D

JCrakers
22-11-2012, 11:31 AM
No, definitley not

You must never give antibiotics to anyone other than prescribed

I would ring mum and tell her you didn't realise what she meant but can never do this

Cheeky and wrong of mum to ask and to do it herself.

The first child needs to finish his course or won't get better and could be worse if he doesn't finish it.

Do you think she's left the second bottle at home by mistake, surely she can't be giving it to sibling???

caz3007
22-11-2012, 12:03 PM
I hope she means both children are on the same medicine prescribed by the docs to both children, but she has only sent one bottle. I would be ringing her and telling her you cant give them to the other child as there is no prescribed bottle. I hope she its self medicating the other child x