PDA

View Full Version : WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

silvermist
21-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Ive been contacted by a parent who wants childcare for their 3.5 year old until she starts school in September. Four times during our initial meeting Mum asked about my behaviour strategies. I asked if their were behaviour issues and Mum said " she just doesnt do as asked, pulls everything out but wont tidying up etc and child is a great story teller and makes stuff up! :eek:" I explained that all children here are encouraged to tidy up, even my babies are encouraged to put toys in baskets etc. Ive had a text today saying she definately wants me. Im having second thoughts now as wondering what other behaviour issues she hasnt told me about. What would you do, would you take this on? Do alarm bells ring for you? x

francinejayne
21-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I would use my 4 week settling in period to decide if I wanted to continue - the child may be fine with you? I do always point out the settling in period to new parents and tell them if things don't work out I will end the contract, though this is not something I normally do (have used it twice though)

WibbleWobble
21-11-2012, 05:58 PM
ding ding ding

i dont know what i would do....as you know i have had a child who was defiant to the extreme and i served notice partly because of this. But i do like a challenge....

maybe have a water tight get out clause?

wibble xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cathtee
21-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi, I would take lo on and have a shorter settling in contract breaker so if you normally have if the child does not settle in the first 4 weeks
shorten it to 2 weeks then if behaviour is not managable then you can give notice hope this makes sense, it's been a long day

eddie
21-11-2012, 06:04 PM
I'd go for a 4 week settling in period and then if things are bad you can just not commit to a full contract. Sometimes kids behave better for others than their parents so I would give it a go. Do you know if she has been to a nursery or childminder before they approached you? If so you could make a few discreet enquiries perhaps?

FussyElmo
21-11-2012, 06:17 PM
At least she told you there was issues - you could extend the settling in period to 3 months to give you enough time to see there is serious issues :thumbsup:

sarah707
21-11-2012, 06:39 PM
As the others have suggested - 4 week settling in extended if it's not working out.

How would it affect the dynamic with the other children though? if you feel you are taking too much on now is the time to say.

Hth :D

Chimps Childminding
21-11-2012, 06:52 PM
I would also go with 4 weeks settling in, but with a view to extending it if necessary!! Lots of children don't like putting things away and make things up (I know I have the world's worst :rolleyes:) but she may be fine for you!!! Like someone else said ask if she has been anywhere else and how she got on there!!!

Good luck, you never know she might be an :littleangel: for you!!!!

silvermist
21-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Thank you for replies. Im going to go with the 4 week settling in period and see what happens, extending it if neccessary. The thing that concerns me is all my los are settled and know our routine so like Sarah said, be a shame if having new mindee had a negative impact on that. Thanks again, xxx

Chimps Childminding
21-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Thank you for replies. Im going to go with the 4 week settling in period and see what happens, extending it if neccessary. The thing that concerns me is all my los are settled and know our routine so like Sarah said, be a shame if having new mindee had a negative impact on that. Thanks again, xxx

Thats where the 4 weeks comes in handy!!! If it disrupts the other mindees you can terminate!!

mushpea
21-11-2012, 08:18 PM
I had a parent visit with their child, he was a total nightmare and trashed the place and when he'd gone I wonded what had hit us:eek:, she went to visit my friend who she had visited when he was a baby but decided to go with a nursery, she choose my freind who turne him down on account of his behavour and mum rang me almost in tears, I convinced her to let me have him for a settling in period, he was a totaly different child with me, still full of energy and a little defiance but a lovley happy little fella with whom we all fell in love with.
hopefully this child of yours will be the same
good luck:thumbsup:

silvermist
21-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Lets hope so. Thing is if I take him it means im totally full which is really good as Ive only been registered since march. Keep your fingers crossed for me. xxx

VeggieSausage
21-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I had a parent visit with their child, he was a total nightmare and trashed the place and when he'd gone I wonded what had hit us:eek:, she went to visit my friend who she had visited when he was a baby but decided to go with a nursery, she choose my freind who turne him down on account of his behavour and mum rang me almost in tears, I convinced her to let me have him for a settling in period, he was a totaly different child with me, still full of energy and a little defiance but a lovley happy little fella with whom we all fell in love with.
hopefully this child of yours will be the same
good luck:thumbsup:

...or they could be a lot worse than mum is letting on.....I would stress to mum that you have a few concerns about the behaviour issues she mentioned and you need to discuss exactly what the issues are, what they are doing about it at home and have there been problems in any other settings....

silvermist
21-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Thats a really good idea, thanks xxx

Candy apple
23-11-2012, 07:13 AM
I think I would be to scared to do it. Do you have a behavour bit in the contract.?

silvermist
23-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Yes I do and I also have a behaviour policy too. She hasnt been intouch again yet though x