PDA

View Full Version : communication...

gegele
21-11-2012, 04:46 PM
when do you worry about a child understanding?
I have a 16months old who just stare at you when you talk to him. he goes dead weight when you try to carry him. He never helps himself out of seats, chair.... he just waits and if you ask him to move his arm out of strap or else he screams at me.

he cries for parents all the time for EVERYTHING as soon as he sees them he throws himself on the floor and cry!! NON STOP

He's the younger of 2, I had sibling before who was a slow starter as well but I don't know something bugs me and i don't know what...

A part of me think it's just a big case of babying gone wrong lol I don't know

blue bear
21-11-2012, 05:33 PM
What do the parents say, do they expect him to do anything for himself at home? Has he been (still being)carried around for himself?

How does he compare to the eyfs?could you pick something out as his next steps and see if parents would like to work on it at home? Their reaction will tell you if ey expect their chikd to try something like that if you see what I mean?

Lots of obs and links to eyfs, with next steps being worked on and progress or lack of it noted.

sarah707
21-11-2012, 06:55 PM
There's a difference between a child who can do things and chooses not to - and a child who genuinely doesn't have a clue.

Which do you think he is?

If you are worried keep notes and speak to parents. At the end of the day any referrals have to come from them so keep the channels of communication open.

Hth :D

vals
21-11-2012, 07:03 PM
I care for a similar child. By using the development matters its easier to show where things aren't right. Mine is 22 months, he is still in 0-11 months in some areas. The parents are reluctant to accept there is a problem which makes it awkward though. There is a thought that its down to parenting, but in the case of the child I have I think its more serious, but am waiting for his 2 year check so its more obvious, and hopefully the parents will stop making excuses for how he is.