PDA

View Full Version : Naked child?

jadavi
21-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Mindee's mum is insisting her potty training child walk around naked from waist down. There are workmen in our kitchen, my two sons in their twenties are home Etc etc. I am not comfortable about it. Could there be some legal ruling I can quote to the mum?
Ant ideas? she is here in forty mins!!!

eddie
21-11-2012, 04:26 PM
I would say its a safeguarding risk and refer her to your safeguarding policy if you have one.

caz3007
21-11-2012, 04:30 PM
I had a parent here who wanted to do that. I insisted that LO had to have knickers on from a safeguarding point of view and my carpets and sofas point of view too. I did mutter something about not being allowed to

jadavi
21-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks. I don't think mum is familiar with the term 'safeguarding'
how to phrase in simple words?

eddie
21-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks. I don't think mum is familiar with the term 'safeguarding'

How about protecting the dignity of the child? To make sure that the wrong sort of person doesn't see parts that should be private?

wendywu
21-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Just say it could lead you open to all sorts of alligations, if schools are not even allowed to put on suncream or check for nits then how does she think that you are allowed to let a child walk around with its genitalia on public view. :rolleyes:

Throw in the formal word genitals that may make her stop and think :D

little chickee
21-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Safegaurding issue - as others have said.
Hygiene issue - naked bums on sofas, carpets etc.
I prefer a child in pants cos then you can see if they are wet - if naked you don't know til you stand in the wet patch!

Above all else if she wants child naked at her house thats fine but its different rules for yours.

hectors house
21-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Safegaurding issue - as others have said.
Hygiene issue - naked bums on sofas, carpets etc.
I prefer a child in pants cos then you can see if they are wet - if naked you don't know til you stand in the wet patch!

Above all else if she wants child naked at her house thats fine but its different rules for yours.

Tell her the child wears at least pants or else the mother will have to take week off work to potty train child her way and then another week off to train her to pull pants up and down so she can come back to you.

singingcactus
21-11-2012, 06:05 PM
I just say no. It's not nice if you end up with three toddler running around sitting their naked bottoms on chairs, sofas, toys and rugs, then the next child does it and well, yuk. So I just say no, not in my home. That's the only explanation I give.

Kiddleywinks
21-11-2012, 06:12 PM

That's easy....

No! :laughing:

sarah707
21-11-2012, 06:41 PM
No, it's neither safe nor hygienic.

Hth :D

Maza
21-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Apart from hygiene and safeguarding issues it is totally unnecessary. No, no, no, no.

Chimps Childminding
21-11-2012, 06:46 PM
It would be a no from me too!! Its not fair on everyone else that is around, children, adults, not to mention furniture/carpets being sat on etc. I would insist on pants if nothing else!!

If thats what she wants to do at home thats up to her, but I can't see a nursery allowing it, so why should you be expected to??

SYLVIA
21-11-2012, 07:16 PM
I had a parent who thought it was easier to have them naked from the waist down. I said no because it wasn't nice for them or us. Plus if you train the LO with no pants, you then have to train them with.

clairisamo
21-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Hi there!!
Sorry, what is LO?? I'm very new to this!! Ahhh Little One?
How did it go? What did you say to Mum?

VeggieSausage
21-11-2012, 08:09 PM
NO NO NO.....NO NAKED BUMS ETC ON MY FURNITURE AND I DON'T WANT TO LOOK AT THEM!!!!.....there got that off my chest, its been a long day....

mushpea
21-11-2012, 08:15 PM
errrr NOOOOO, thats unhygenic and degrading for the child plus a serious safeguarding issue plus if if the child is not ready enough to tell you when they need the toilet whilst wearing clothes then in my oppinion they should be in pull ups, I work with parents to potty train children and am doing so at the monent but I will not have my home ruined by kids peeing all over the place, I learnt the hard way by having my carpet ruined by one child and another child who told me she didnt need a wee and refused to do one on the toilet then went and sat on my new (second handbut new to us) conservatory chair and peed all over it:angry:
ever since then all children are encouraged to use the potty but unitll they are 90% dry and clean they stay in nappies or pull ups at mine

winstonian
21-11-2012, 09:05 PM
In defence of the mum this is how I potty trained our 3 children. Long tops but no bottoms and it was so much easier just in those first days where they need to go NOW!!! However that was before I was childminding, they were my children and I wasn't offended by their lovely little bottoms and it was the privacy of our own home so slightly different.

Chimps Childminding
21-11-2012, 09:17 PM
In defence of the mum this is how I potty trained our 3 children. Long tops but no bottoms and it was so much easier just in those first days where they need to go NOW!!! However that was before I was childminding, they were my children and I wasn't offended by their lovely little bottoms and it was the privacy of our own home so slightly different.

My sons used to run round the garden in the summer with no bottoms on (they are now 21 so a few years ago), but as you said that was in my home!! I wouldn't expect anyone else to be happy to do it!!

tulip0803
21-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Definately no bare bums here! Had to tell parent recently that I cannot have children running around with no pants on from a hygiene purpose and the child's dignity. Agree with others start with pants on then they don't have to learn again.

jadavi
22-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Thanks, I wasn't worried about whether to say no or not, it was what to say to the mum without annoying her.

gegele
22-11-2012, 07:31 AM
pants also catch first drops, dribble!! so if no pants it runs down the leg and furniture catch it then bum wipe it and you sit in it!!!

just saying:D

lauren1979
22-11-2012, 09:39 AM
you can suggest baggy trousers/shorts with no pants as that way they are covered but don't feel they have the security feeling that can lead to confusion by having something close around them like pants....my boys did it this way, were soon in pants once they got the hang of it!

bunyip
22-11-2012, 09:46 AM
I'd tell mum:-

It could lead to allegations.
It's not clean and hygienic, in terms of contact with furniture, etc.
And why, for Dog's sake, does she think it's necessary?

I'm assuming your grown-up sons are covered by CRB disclosures, but did I read that right: you have workmen in your kitchen whilst you're working? If I was arguing your case from a safeguarding/allegations point of view, I'm afraid the workmen would be the first thing I'd want to address. Half-naked lo's shouldn't (and never used to be) a big issue, but times and views have become more paranoid and we sometimes need to consider other people's perceptions. :(

Ripeberry
22-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Get him a kilt ;-)

Ripeberry
22-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks, I wasn't worried about whether to say no or not, it was what to say to the mum without annoying her.

Tough if it annoys her. Its your house your rules.