PDA

View Full Version : Help with paper work and folders

SamBaker
21-11-2012, 01:33 PM
HELP!!!:panic: I'm really on the verge of throwing in the towel, just when I think I have it all sussed, someone else comes along and suggests some other paper work I need. Is there a check list anywhere of exactly what we should have and what it should cover? ie for leraning journals, planning folders, (how you set them out and what you include etc, one person is telling me one thing then someone else is telling me something else ahhhh!!! Really should have got my head round it by now lol!!! Really am struggling with everything at the moment and its getting me down thinking I'm not good enough for this job :(
If anyone would be prepared to show me an example of their planning sheet or something I'd be so so grateful

Thank you so much

xxx

AnneS
21-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Just wanted to tell you i'm in the same boat at the moment, sorry I can't help.. just thought it would be nice to see someone else is just as frustrated as you!!

big hugs

blue bear
21-11-2012, 05:12 PM
The problem with the eyfs for those struggling is that there is no one correct way of doing it, what works for some doesn't work for others.
You could get 50 different variations on paperwork and learning journals and they all be right if you see what I mean.
What do you do already? What aspect of it is not working for you?

I personally keep it very simple, I observe the child and link this to next steps, write down next steps, I put this in lj with photo if I have one or sometimes a pices of child's artwork. I then go on to work the next steps into the child's play, sometimes this is tomorrow, or next week or within minutes of the observation.
Planning should be from the child's interests, nothing elaborate, so one of my little men wanted to know where the stuff in the toilet went, we talked about drains. The next day he spotted a drain as we walked to school, we talked about different sorts of drains. The next week we saw a drain on the hotel, it was connected to a gutter, my little man talked about how high it was. At home I gave him a tape measure and we measured the drains around my house, we measured each other and drew the numbers on the wall. We went on to look at different numbers in the environment...... It goes on. Youdo it all the time naturally. It's a matter of picking out the things that show their development, things they have not done before and writing observation on that, you don't need to write obs on everything you do.

hectors house
21-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Agree with blue bear - I am sure what you are doing is just fine - you had a good in last inspection and providing you are carrying on with observations and planning next steps in the new EYFS, you should be fine. I went to a training session last Wednesday and there were people there doing things far different from me but I am just going to carry on until someone tells me I'm doing it wrong! Different doesn't make it wrong, if things aren't working for you then change them but "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

sarah707
21-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Do you live near anyone with experience you can visit to go through things with you?

Very often it's about having confidence in your own ways of doing things. Yes someone suggests something new or different but if you are happy with what you are doing then carry on!!

There are lots of bits and bobs of info in free resources... if you are a gold member of childcare.co.uk look on there as well there are lots of useful downloads.

Hth :D

VeggieSausage
21-11-2012, 08:26 PM
The problem with the eyfs for those struggling is that there is no one correct way of doing it, what works for some doesn't work for others.
You could get 50 different variations on paperwork and learning journals and they all be right if you see what I mean.
What do you do already? What aspect of it is not working for you?

I personally keep it very simple, I observe the child and link this to next steps, write down next steps, I put this in lj with photo if I have one or sometimes a pices of child's artwork. I then go on to work the next steps into the child's play, sometimes this is tomorrow, or next week or within minutes of the observation.
Planning should be from the child's interests, nothing elaborate, so one of my little men wanted to know where the stuff in the toilet went, we talked about drains. The next day he spotted a drain as we walked to school, we talked about different sorts of drains. The next week we saw a drain on the hotel, it was connected to a gutter, my little man talked about how high it was. At home I gave him a tape measure and we measured the drains around my house, we measured each other and drew the numbers on the wall. We went on to look at different numbers in the environment...... It goes on. Youdo it all the time naturally. It's a matter of picking out the things that show their development, things they have not done before and writing observation on that, you don't need to write obs on everything you do.

Drains!! :laughing:

SamBaker
21-11-2012, 08:30 PM
I think the problem is just that, so many different ways of doing things, I've never seen anyone elses work even just to get ideas or to see if I'm on the right lines. It turned out to be a really bad day in the end, weather was absolutely awful on the school run and the children defiantly had the wind up their tails lol!! Think I need to get my QIP just to glance an eye over everything and give me some pointers on any extra things to add. have done loads of research today which has defiantly helped abit so lots of reading tonight lol!

Thank you again for all your help

xxx

SamBaker
22-11-2012, 07:06 AM
Sarah what I really need is to live right next door to you! :laughing::laughing: Have used so many of your lovely resources, ebooks and downloads, you really have helped me so much.

xxx

sarah707
22-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Sarah what I really need is to live right next door to you! :laughing::laughing: Have used so many of your lovely resources, ebooks and downloads, you really have helped me so much.

xxx

If you are ever up this way you are more than welcome to call! :D

jillplum
22-11-2012, 01:53 PM
We once had an evening network meeting where we all brought along our paperwork. It was great to see what everyone else does. Picked up some great ideas that I still use now.

mum22
23-11-2012, 06:08 AM
If you are ever up this way you are more than welcome to call! :D

How about a forum open day at your house Sarah:laughing:? I for one don't mind travelling hundreds of miles for that. I think you are amazing!!

mrs robbie williams
23-11-2012, 01:55 PM
How about a forum open day at your house Sarah:laughing:? I for one don't mind travelling hundreds of miles for that. I think you are amazing!!

can i come too? when i grow up i want to be like sarah :blush: she is so organised, i think she should write a definitive list of what we need to do, what to put in what folder, how to plan and get everything right, it would make my life a whole lot easier :D:D

rabiaamrouchi
28-11-2012, 01:30 PM
I'll join you too Sarah.