PDA

View Full Version : healthy eating ideas

mushpea
21-11-2012, 12:29 PM
well in light of recent events I have decided to have a healthy eating theme and wonded what ideas you have for this, I have tried searching the forum but the search thing dosent seem to work
any ideas greatfully recived lol

hectors house
21-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Think it was only the crisps and cakes on a daily basis that you needed to look at - just offer the children more fruit and veg, at a birthday party at weekend saw 2 & 3 year olds tucking into fruit kebabs (sticks a bit dangerous) but sure they ate more fruit than if they had just had it on plate. How about fruit trifle - then they are getting little bit of cake, fruit and dairy - you could use sugar free jelly and reduced fat custard?

Someone on your post yesterday suggested a good site for portion sizes and how to balance healthy foods with not so healthy - https://www.infantandtoddlerforum.org/portion-sizes-table - I e-mailed the link to all my parents yesterday with their daily diary sheets.

Everything in moderation - I can't see a problem with a child having an occasional handful of crisps or a mini sized cake, just not on the same day and not everyday.

VeggieSausage
21-11-2012, 12:51 PM
I collected a variety of coloured fruit and veg (called it a rainbow) and children, picked them up, smelt them, felt them, tasted them and cooked with them.....

Make their own sandwiches.....

Make fruit smoothies.....

Squeeze oranges to make juice.....

Vegetable and fruit printing....talk about how healthy the veggies are.....

Hope I didn't offend when I said I wouldn't give crisps....just my own personal view but I am a wholefood enthusiast!

christine e
21-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Let the children make their own pasta salad - large bowl of cooked pasta then lots of small dishes with chopped egg, bits of chicken, ham, cheese, etc then bowls of cherry toms, cucumber, sweetcorn, chopped pepper, carrot. Let the children help themselves to pasta and then add bits of the other stuff - I found that children were inclined to try things that they had not tried before such as radishes and ate well as they enjoyed being in control of portion sizes. The only things I insisted on was that they all had pasta (this was not a problem) and that that had at least one helping of protein and one of the veg. This works great for picnics giving them all a small sandwich box. I let them add a little ketchup or mayo to bind.

Cx