PDA

View Full Version : 4hrs care a week?

jo.jo76
21-11-2012, 10:37 AM
I have a LO who I have been looking after for 8hrs a week which was supposed to be temporary till Christmas. Mum has now asked if I can have him 1 day a week 8.15 till 12.15. This is my only day I have available and not sure if having him for such a short time is going to be worth it for him or me!
I know now I should of had a minimum hours in my policies, which Mum has read.
As he is already settled I feel I should say yes, but don't know if I want to fill my last space with a child for just 4 hrs!

TooEarlyForGin?
21-11-2012, 10:42 AM
I used to take any hours but in the last year insist on a minimum of 6 hours, as otherwise it isn't worth it, especially if you only have 1 child on that day.

Would you consider charging a higher rate for short hours?

Mouse
21-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Explain all of that to mum. Explain that while you have the space you are happy to offer the shorter hours, but you will continue advertising the space & should someone come along wanting more hours you will let mum know. She will then have the option of paying for a full day, or you will give notice in favour of the family wanting longer hours.

As long as you are very clear about it from the beginning there can be no come back when you get another enquiry.

And in the meantime you are at least earning some money for the day. If you insist now on a minimum number of hours, mum may give notice & you'd end up with nothing.

eddie
21-11-2012, 11:12 AM
I would take any hours a day for my long standing vacancy at the moment! It's difficult though, to give notice if a full time parent came along and you had to let the original one down. Perhaps charging a slightly higher rate would be a good idea?

mum22
21-11-2012, 11:15 AM
I have taken on a few on odd days for 5 hours but only when have had others, and they have always increased days with me. if I didn't have anyone else and didn't need the money I wouldn't do it.

bunyip
21-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Explain all of that to mum. Explain that while you have the space you are happy to offer the shorter hours, but you will continue advertising the space & should someone come along wanting more hours you will let mum know. She will then have the option of paying for a full day, or you will give notice in favour of the family wanting longer hours.

As long as you are very clear about it from the beginning there can be no come back when you get another enquiry.

And in the meantime you are at least earning some money for the day. If you insist now on a minimum number of hours, mum may give notice & you'd end up with nothing.

I agree with all that Mouse has said. :thumbsup:

Btw, there's no need to put minimum hours in your policies. It's more a matter of what you agree to in an individual contract. You don't have to agree to it cos you're not contracted to it. If you did put it in your policies, then you're kinda tying yourself down to something when you might wish to make an exception in particular circumstances.

jo.jo76
21-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice. I think I'm going to ask Mum if she could send him for longer, as one of the others I have on that day only comes for that day so it'll restrict us having days out if I have to be back by 12.15. Otherwise I think I'll say to Mum it'll only be temporary and see how it works out

eddie
21-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice. I think I'm going to ask Mum if she could send him for longer, as one of the others I have on that day only comes for that day so it'll restrict us having days out if I have to be back by 12.15. Otherwise I think I'll say to Mum it'll only be temporary and see how it works out

Hope it all works out for you.

stargazer1
21-11-2012, 02:42 PM
I have one mindee that comes 4 hours a week. He used to come on a Friday and was the only mindee I had on a Friday. He came for 4 hours, I charge £3.50, so I earned £14 on a Friday and that was before I fed him etc. In the end it wasnt working for me, so I spoke to mum and we moved him to a Wednesday afternoon when I had a space. Works well for me and mum, but tbh I often think he would benefit from more hours with me. In the time he is here, we are often pressed for time with school runs, so he doesnt benefit from the arts/crafts and trips I often do as much as some of the others. But then when mums are paying a minimal amount, and wants minimal hours, I suppose they need to understand that their little one isnt going to see the variation that some of the others do during the week.

At the end of the day, as long as the mum is happy and you are happy, go for it. If you think it wont be worth it for you, mindee and her, then explain you require longer hours, or as Mouse said, that you will do it for now but keep the space advertised.

Hope you reach a solution that suits you all x