PDA

View Full Version : might be awkward??

Blackhorse
21-06-2008, 04:05 PM
I found out that a childminder is living across the street from me and I was wondering if I should contact her... for some questions and also to get to know each other. I thought it might be handy if I get up and running to maybe exchange ideas or pass on people if one is full.. that kind of thing.
But then my partner said he wouldn't tell her as I will be in competition with her and it might be awkward...

sarah707
21-06-2008, 04:08 PM
You're both right - it depends on the minder tbh.

I have some good friends who mind locally and we get together with the little ones, which is nice.

I also know a number of minders who were very jealous when I got my outstanding and wouldn't give me the time of day, never mind pass on my number if they were full.

I would go and say hello and take it slowly :D

wendywu
21-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Do you not see her at any toddler groups. Sometimes having another minder across the road could be handy. Twinkles lives just up the road from me and we get on really well. ( well most of the time :laughing: )

Annie_T
21-06-2008, 04:23 PM
hmm yea could swing both ways hun.

i know 2 cm's and im lucky they are willing to talk and help me where possible - got one comin to help me sort my escape plan - PHEW.

i WOULD GET TO KNOW HER first before you mention childminding.

tulip0803
21-06-2008, 04:27 PM
:) When I moved here The 2 minders that are in this and the next village were really freindly and encouraging. I looked at one of them's house which was for sale. Now I am near registering they are just as helpful. There have been delays in getting registered (CRBs:mad: ) and one has 2 children until Sept which will be coming to me as the other minder had already signed contracts on 2 to start Sept. The other keeps passing my number on. Both helped with contracts and letting me see their portfolios - on the condition they could see mine when it was finished:) . Both are very open about there working practices (how much they charge what is included etc etc) And we are all down as emergency contacts for each other:) .

When I minded before I knew other minders but it was not the same level of helpfulness and interest.

wendywu
21-06-2008, 04:28 PM
I think she might notice loads of children being dropped off and being picked up though. But the same goes for you noticing her mindees.:)

miffy
21-06-2008, 05:03 PM
I would give it a go - at this stage you've nothing to lose but might gain a new friend and some support.

Good luck

miffy xx

manjay
21-06-2008, 05:13 PM
I am the same as Julia. The two other minders in my village are fine with me. I am very friendly with one as she minded my own children for 8 years. Not as friendly with the other but only because we are very different people. there is plenty of work to go round and they are both very established minders. It has worked in my favour as anyone needing childcare in the village will usually approach one of the others. They are always full and so my number gets passed on. So I guess what I am saying is that it will depend on the friendliness of the other minder and how much of a threat she sees you as

Blaze
21-06-2008, 05:22 PM
You're both right - it depends on the minder tbh.

I have some good friends who mind locally and we get together with the little ones, which is nice.

I also know a number of minders who were very jealous when I got my outstanding and wouldn't give me the time of day, never mind pass on my number if they were full.

I would go and say hello and take it slowly :D

I'm in a similoar situation to Sarah..I would introduce yourself (& mention the CMing) & be friendly...& see how it goes...being mindful that she may not be very happy!:rolleyes:

Spangles
21-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I would just pop over or talk to her if I saw her out.

Explain that you know she's a childminder and that you are about to start up and say you would be really grateful if she's got any advice for you or tips.

She's either going to be friendly and helpful or not! If she's not you know not to bother with her and if she is then that's great and you've got a new friend.

I'd just go for it as she's going to know sooner or later anyway.

Good luck.

breezy
21-06-2008, 06:05 PM
I found out this week that one of my neighbours is pre reg, she had no idea I was a minder, to be honest my first reaction was "oh no competition so near", then I thought "especially if shes better than me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
then I thought, I'm happy, my friend a childminder helped me so I gave her my number and invited her round, lifes to short!!!!!!
I think she felt awkward when she realised I was a minder, but I'm glad she told me I'd hate to just find out!!!!!
lets face it it's a lonely job and we all need support.

Blackhorse
22-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Thanks all for your replies.
Next time I see her around I will talk to her as you said, I have nothing to loose and at least she won't just find out from someone else ...will let you know how it goes.

Btw I met some other childminders in the area last week in my baby group. Well they are always in the toddler area so we hadn't met earlier. They seem really nice and helpful ...unfortunately now the baby group is on a summer break until august...:rolleyes:

Enjoy your sunday!

miffy
22-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Good luck - I hope it works out for you

It's nice you've met some other minders -shame the groups closed now til Sept but maybe you'll bump into some of them when you're out and about.

miffy xx

Alibali
22-06-2008, 05:09 PM
I would personally wait until she approaches you. Let some of the other neighbours know what you are doing, and hopefully she will come to you to offer help. Living in Glasgow like you, I know that a few people may not be very receptive to perceived competition. A minder I know has a neighbour who has just registered and came to speak to her, but she is saying why does she want to talk to me all of a sudden and be my friend, I have enough friends!! That said, 2 of the other mums in my ds class at school are newly registered and I approached them and offered help, and they are now really good friends of mine. Just take it slowly and test the water, hopefully she will be delighted to have someone to share with.

Ali x

Banana
22-06-2008, 07:08 PM
I'd go and say hi, this job can be lonely at times and having someone to do things with can be fun!

xx

Chimps Childminding
22-06-2008, 08:43 PM
I agree with Banana - I couldn't do this job if it weren't for June next door, sometimes the only adult conversation you have is first thing in the morning and pick up in the evening. It can be very lonely especially in winter, and it might be nice if you got friendly and could pop in and see each other. There are 4 of us where we live and we pass each others numbers on if we have an enquiry which we can't take! :thumbsup:

bubbly
23-06-2008, 11:51 AM
I live in the same street as another childminder. She was my son's childminder before I took up minding myself. We don't view one another as rivals, she's a great inspiration and source of help if/when I need it (and the occasional lift home from training courses too! :D :laughing: )

jaja
23-06-2008, 01:14 PM
I have my next door registering and i feel very put out NOT for starting but for not talking to me, i would love a nieghbour that is the same as me, we could organise stuff together and days out yet there is an atmosphere between us and its horrible, i have tried talking to her but shes quick to get away xxx

deeb66
23-06-2008, 01:22 PM
I too would go and say hi.

Yes she might not be very happy about the situation but agin she could be really nice and you end up having a great friendship.

As some of the others have said......in this job you need as many friends and as much support as you can get.

Give it a go :thumbsup:

Heaven Scent
23-06-2008, 02:03 PM
How very sad JaJa

Some people are so strange she'd never know when she may have an emergency and may need to come running to you for help I dn't know why people behave like this really I don't!!!!!!!!
I'm in contact with lots of childminders in my Town I see some of them at the childminding group in a church hall on this side of town, and I met one who lives across the road from me when I started my ICP course and we shared lifts and help each other out when we get stuck or we go to soft play together or walk to school together. I meet some of the others on another school run Then I know more from the childminder drop in at the childrens centre. I have also been known to ring some advice or to pass on names and some have passed on my name.

There is nothing to be gained from treating others as rivals just lonliness, and bitterness and what good is that to anyone.

emmadines
23-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Id give it a go! like it has been said " you have nothing to loose!!!

the basic thing IMO is thta if a parent is gonna go with you they will, if they are going to go with the other then again they will. Ok Im only new to this but we all do the same job dont we??

Monkey1
23-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I would approach her .she might be grateful for a minding friend..nothing to lose......everything to gain x