PDA

View Full Version : child not allowed normal lunch time foods what do I do

mushpea
20-11-2012, 12:32 PM
I look after a 4.5yrold girl whos not yet at school and with my 3 days a week, her parents have been told shes overweight so they are cutting things out like cakes and biscuits and crisps or at least thats what they have asked me to do ,knowing them I am sure at home she will still get all of these, however this has made lunch times difficult because at lunch we have sandwich or crackers , fruit then if they eat their sandwichs and fruit they can have either crisps or cheesey biscuits followed by jelly or yoghut or cake if theyve made some .
the cake making is an issue too as 2 children come the same days as her , so if shes not allowed crisps and cakes or allwoed to make cakes does this mean I have to stop it for all the children? and actually why should I? is it wrong for her to do a different activity then at lunch have somthing different like fruit or bread sticks instead of crisps? I would offer her rice cakes but reading the back of the pack they are almost as bad as crisps in terms of salt and fat .
All the children are given a choice of which they would like and it seems wrong to stop their ususal routine and nice things because one child cant have them, after all if a child came here with allergies I would just offer them an alternative rather than changing everyones routine
How would you deal with this?

fluff1975
20-11-2012, 12:53 PM
I'd be tempted to ask for her lunch to be provided. That way the parents know exactly what she's having and you and the other mindees can get on and enjoy your lunch! Yes we want to work with parents, but that doesn't mean we jump to their every demand. Sorry, bit ranty but I've had enough of parents this week!!

NicoleW
20-11-2012, 12:53 PM
To be honest that sounds a lot in ways of portion size.

I have 2 year old ish ages, and today they've had three slices of cucumber, two slices of red pepper, one slice of tomato and about a tablespoon ish of scrambled egg with one fromage frais yogurt.

With regards to cakes and crisps, have you tried say doing a special treat friday or something where that's the day they can have the crisps and cakes because having them every day isn't healthy I don't think.

We generally have a free choice thursday here where the kids pick their own dinners (older kids) and pudding which the little ones have as well, so if they choose crisps I normally have those organix ones for the under 5's which are generally a bit better.

I think it's just down to portion control

VeggieSausage
20-11-2012, 01:12 PM
I personally don't and wouldn't give crisps to minded children as I view them as total junk food so I would cut the crisps for everyone......

TNT
20-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Personally I just wouldnt offer any crisps or biscuits, we have them occasionally here but I try to have healthier nutritious puddings like yogurts, fruit, rice pudding, fruit with custard etc. I now that they can still be fairly high in fat but children need fat to develop healthily. I agree with previous poster about it being more about portion size. If she eats a decent main meal then the pudding need only be small and nutritionally beneficial.

babs
20-11-2012, 01:18 PM
personally i dont give mindees crisps, cake,sweets or pop. this is written in my policy for healthy eating but does say on special occasions such as a birthday,christmas or a party then they are allowed if parents agree. we do bake but children take these home and then its up to parents if they allow them to be eaten..

babs
20-11-2012, 01:20 PM
this website might help ...

https://www.infantandtoddlerforum.org/toddler-portion-sizes

jo.jo76
20-11-2012, 01:20 PM
I very rarely have cakes with mine. Could you not bake something other than cakes? Mine love the courgette and dried tomato scones.

ChocolateChip
20-11-2012, 01:29 PM
The website Babs has posted makes for very interesting reading!
I also don't offer normal crisps, sometimes they will have a few organix type vegetable crisps like the sweetcorn hoops but it really is only 4 or 5, and we only have limited biscuits and cake, not every day. Pudding is either yoghurt/ fromage frais, or something fruit like fruit salad or a crumble.
Try going down the savoury route rather than the sweet route, there are lots of ideas on the I Can Cook website, but if you are struggling then ask the parents to provide as someone else suggested.

hectors house
20-11-2012, 01:33 PM
As others have said I think it is probably down to portion size - I have a 2 year old mindee and when her mum sends a lunch box, I don't give half of it to the child - enough in it to feed a grown man in a physical job!

Can you maybe look in a diet recipe book and make cakes that don't have as much fat or sugar so child can still have an occasional cake. I give my mindees cooked lunch and cold tea - they have sandwiches (ham, tuna or cheese), chunks of cucumber and cherry tomatoes, a milk pudding (tapioca, custard, fromage frais), selection of fresh fruit, sometimes a small cake (if we have made some) or some malt bread. Lots of variety but portions appropriate to their age - which I expect you are doing, it will be parents over feeding her!

peanuts
20-11-2012, 01:35 PM
ask the parents to provide the lunch, putting it accross like they will then know every little bit that will be going past the little ones lips

mushpea
20-11-2012, 01:47 PM
I also think portion size is an issue, not being rude but neither mum or dad are small and I just don think they get how little their child really needs, when I say we have 4 different items at lunch it dose sound a lot but its actutaly very small portions, normaly one slice of bread with filling a peice of fruit, a small childs handful of crisps then a small yoghut, I never used to give crisps and always gave either rice cakes or breadsticks but when you read the back of a pack of rice cakes they are just as bad as crisps and a heck of a lot more expensive because they come acrross as being healthy, fruit is generaly for snack unless we are at toddler group on a tuesday and then its biscuit as thats what they provide.
to be honest I dont know why I bothered thinking about it all because when mum turned up today child went straight to car and pulled out a bag of crisps and chocolate cake:angry:

babs
20-11-2012, 01:51 PM
I also think portion size is an issue, not being rude but neither mum or dad are small and I just don think they get how little their child really needs, when I say we have 4 different items at lunch it dose sound a lot but its actutaly very small portions, normaly one slice of bread with filling a peice of fruit, a small childs handful of crisps then a small yoghut, I never used to give crisps and always gave either rice cakes or breadsticks but when you read the back of a pack of rice cakes they are just as bad as crisps and a heck of a lot more expensive because they come acrross as being healthy, fruit is generaly for snack unless we are at toddler group on a tuesday and then its biscuit as thats what they provide.
to be honest I dont know why I bothered thinking about it all because when mum turned up today child went straight to car and pulled out a bag of crisps and chocolate cake:angry:

if you can i would print off the portion plate sizes off the web link i put up think we are all guilty of feeding to much when u read what portion sizes are to different age groups.. hope it helps

Tatjana
20-11-2012, 06:27 PM

I wouldn't worry so much on this account, be careful the parents don't end up blaming you, sounds like they can't be bothered and expect you to provide her with healthy good whilst they carry on giving her rubbish.

mushpea
20-11-2012, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't worry so much on this account, be careful the parents don't end up blaming you, sounds like they can't be bothered and expect you to provide her with healthy good whilst they carry on giving her rubbish.

its more like they have no back bone and cant say no to her which is a big problem in her behaviour too although she is mainly well behaved with me but then she knows I wont take no messing about, its frustrating though when I stick to parents wishes and they dont bother themselves

mum24
20-11-2012, 08:48 PM

That is so annoying isnt it when you are trying to do your best to follow parents wishes, and look after other too.
I recently did some training on healthy eating and portion sizes and was amazed at what we were told. For instance, one table spoon of baked beans is a tea time portion size for a 2 year old. I tried it at tea time the next day and nearly wet myself laughing at lo's face when she saw her plate. It has made me think though about this, and I totally agree with you, I never bother with rice cakes, far too salty for my taste and often the packaging on products is to misleading and totally unhelpful.
I hope you can find a way around this for all of you.

Helen79
20-11-2012, 09:50 PM
I don't give crisps or cake either. If we make cakes they normally don't eat them here, I wrap them up to send home, then parents can see what they've made and decide how many they're allowed to eat. I wouldn't be happy with my kids having crisps or cake everyday as that's something that I like to monitor and moderate how much they eat. I think sandwich/crackers, fruit and yoghurt/rice pudding is enough for a most toddlers.

Do you have a popcorn maker? We make our own popcorn (with no salt or sugar added) which is healthier than most snacks and fun for them to make. I would stop giving crisps to all children and find healthy alternatives instead for everyone.
I make a nearly fat free tea loaf (http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/447170/Nearly-fat-free-fruit-loaf), I put any dried fruit in that I've got in the cupboard and use an orange and cinnamon tea bag instead of a normal one. I freeze it in small portions to put in the kids lunch boxes instead of cereal bars. It works out really cheap to make aswell.

loocyloo
21-11-2012, 08:44 AM
we do have crisps very occaisonally and if we make cakes or biscuits, then we do have a couple and the rest go home. all my parents are happy with this.

we eat healthily most of the time and i think a little 'treat' like item every so often does no harm, and in the long run stops them being 'treats' and therefore possibly causing eating issues later on. i am also very wary of giving children low fat/sugar free items, as children need some fat & sugar in their diet.

we do make our own popcorn and the children love it hot from the machine.

i like the sound of the tealoaf :) might make that later!

mabel
21-11-2012, 08:46 AM
I think with the huge amount of food out there to give to children we do not need to supply them with junk food or treats like cakes/biscuits/crisps. the parents obviously value you and are asking for your help, many childminders are now providing a good menu of healthy, nutritous food. We dont do junk here, baking is a very rare occassional treat to take home. There are many ways to teach children about keeping healthy and you can do this through so many ways.

hectors house
21-11-2012, 08:57 AM

If I had worked hard all day to ensure that this child only ate healthy food and then I saw the parents letting child eat crisps and cake in the car I would draw up a healthy eating contract for them to sign - if they aren't prepared to change their eating habits which led to child being over weight in the first place, I wouldn't be prepared to do it at my house if it meant changing the food given to other children. I don't give my mindees crisps but they do have the occasional cake if we make them.

I hate it at a toddler group where a very health conscience mother has made a fuss about the plain sweet biscuits that are offered after the children have eaten fruit - I don't see why my mindees can't have a plain rich tea or digestive as a treat as I have biscuits in the house, but she wants rice cakes offered to all children, don't see why she should enforce her no wheat / no sugar ideas on everyone else!

marnieb
21-11-2012, 09:03 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with the odd biscuit or crisps, but having read thru all the posts on this, it does sound like mum and dad are expecting you to do all the hard work, and lets be honest what are you going to accomplish in 3 days??

I'd ask mum to provide a sample lunch of what she feeds the lo at home, then you can see for yourself exactly how much she eats.

And has the dr said its her diet? Don't forget, children are built differently, my own 2 kids eat the same foods, and I have one very skinny boy and a chunky girl who sadly has taken after her mummy....!!!! :laughing: