PDA

View Full Version : hair pulling toddler

ziggy
19-11-2012, 08:21 AM
I have a 19month old toddler who pulls hair of other children. She's been doing it for months, it started as a sort of affectionate thing, when lifted up by mummy, auntie etc she would put arms round neck then pull hair while smiling.

She now pulls hair of other mindees and i cant leave her for a minute. Last week at toddler group she did it to 2 older children. The parents noticed that she doesnt do it in an aggressive manner.

I've tried saying No in a very stern voice, cuddling other child who is usually screaming madly. I've sat her in buggy or highchair while explaining it hurts and its unkind. Luckily i only have her one short day a week, so can shadow her here and at toddler group.

Has anyone had this problem before?

QualityCare
19-11-2012, 10:09 AM
When she first started doing it parents didn't do any thing about it therefore enforcing its a nice thing to do, its all very well them saying its not in an aggressive way but it is and its hurtful and needs to stopped what would they have done if she had hit them when they picked her up, said ahh she doesn't meen it and let her carry on?

Do as you are doing, a stern no not nice, she doesn't understand hurt, unkind etc and remove her, at the same time(not after you have moved her right away) give other child more attention so she sees she gets none but others do, if she does it when you pick her up put her immediately down with a stern no not nice, parents need to work with you on this one, do this every single time she will soon get the message, every time she cuddles without doing it tell her ahh nice cuddles.