PDA

View Full Version : Observation question

Rosy Days
18-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Hi all, I was wondering if someone could just help me out with this ... I'm just updating my LJ's and I'm abit stuck on what I need to observe with regard to:-

'makes connections between their movement and the marks they make' - PD Moving and Handling - 16-26 mths

and

'distinguishes between the different marks they make' - Literacy Writing 22-26 mths

We do lots of mark making and its probably really obvious but I'm just unsure what exactly I need to observe with this, please could someone point me in the right direction what I need to be looking out for?

Many thanks :)

hectors house
19-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Just had look at new development matters and see why you are struggling, it isn't very clear on either of them.

First one - makes connections between movements and marks they make - for the previous age range it mentions show children how to make marks in playdough, paint (in what adults could do) & gloop (in what adults could provide), so I suppose for age you are looking to observe it is how children realise that by putting their hands in paint they can make handprints on the paper.

I am just about thinking about Xmas crafts and will be doing hand & footprint reindeers - so the baby at 10 months will just be supplying his hand & feet, it may tickle when I paint them (and his reaction will be PSE) but he won't be actively contributing. The next mindee at 18 months will make the connection between the paint and the movement he needs to make of his foot or hand to get a print.

Distinguishes between different marks they make - just notice if a child says "I'm doing round and around" - when drawing circles

Hope someone else replies too as I'm questioning my own answers - I'm so far behind with writting up observations that I haven't started using new Development Matters yet!

VeggieSausage
19-11-2012, 11:03 AM
I think:

1. Makes connections between movements and marks they make - is that they realise they will make marks if they scribble, use a brush, make gloop circles on the table, chalk on pavements etc.....

2. Distingushes between the marks they make - could be they comment on the colours, textures, look of the marks they make and then and this may move onto saying what they have drawn or 'written'.....such as a child scribbles and says thats my name.....or draws a picture and says thats my mummy etc

.....thats how i interpret them anyway....

Rosy Days
21-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the replies, thats helped me out alot :) x