PDA

View Full Version : Bottle feeding

Lick'le Oakes
18-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Hi all, can anyone tell me what the latest guidelines are for parents that are bottle feeding. I thought they brought the water already in the steralized bottle, the powder measured out so all I had to do was put powder into bottle, shake it an heat it up in a jug with hot water.

Now I have been told this is no longer allowed, parents should bring empty steralised bottle, the formula measured out but I have to add the water from a kettle that is specifically only used for their bottles, after boiling it and letting the water cool then adding the powder.

Can anyone clarify which one is right or where I can find the correct procedure please.

SarahJellybean
18-11-2012, 06:21 PM
A separate kettle only used for bottles? Surely not?

Anyway I have not cared for a baby yet but where possible I am going to ask for/supply cartons of ready made formula I think, saves messing.

rickysmiths
18-11-2012, 06:47 PM
The parents need to bring the sterilizes bottles and it is easier if they can bring the measured powder in a tub or one of the ones that has segments in. This is really because it is now recommended that a tub of milk powder should be used within 4 weeks and if not thrown away. It is unlikely you would use a full container of milk in 4 weeks.

You then add the boiled water as you need it allow it to cool to 70 degrees (check on the HPA website) and add the milk when the water is hot this is so any bacteria in the powdered milk is killed. You can the cool the bottle to the correct temp for drinking. A made up bottle should be used within an hour. The best thing would be to ask mum what brand of milk they use and either ask her to let you have an empty pack or have a look in the supermarket so you can see what the manufacturer says as well.

sarah707
18-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Ricky is giving the latest advice from the govt website :D,

moggy
18-11-2012, 08:39 PM
The parents need to bring the sterilizes bottles and it is easier if they can bring the measured powder in a tub or one of the ones that has segments in. This is really because it is now recommended that a tub of milk powder should be used within 4 weeks and if not thrown away. It is unlikely you would use a full container of milk in 4 weeks.

You then add the boiled water as you need it allow it to cool to 70 degrees (check on the HPA website) and add the milk when the water is hot this is so any bacteria in the powdered milk is killed. You can the cool the bottle to the correct temp for drinking. A made up bottle should be used within an hour. The best thing would be to ask mum what brand of milk they use and either ask her to let you have an empty pack or have a look in the supermarket so you can see what the manufacturer says as well.

Could you direct me to the HPA page where this is stated, so I know where to look in future. I had a search on the website but couldn't find it. Thank you.

rickysmiths
18-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Could you direct me to the HPA page where this is stated, so I know where to look in future. I had a search on the website but couldn't find it. Thank you.

Sorry the document I was referring to is not from the HPA it is from the Food Standards Agency

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/formulaguidance.pdf

moggy
20-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Sorry the document I was referring to is not from the HPA it is from the Food Standards Agency

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/formulaguidance.pdf

Thank you, that's great.