PDA

View Full Version : Quandry

Helcatt
17-11-2012, 09:06 PM
We are in the enviable position of being full, have a waiting list now - which I find shocking! And a space that does not become available until Sept next year, is already filled

I have a current client, one day a week 10 1/2 hrs, who wants to increase to full time (11 1/2 hour days, 5 days a week). There is no room, unless I give notice to a couple of smaller clients (a 15 hour and a 10 hour contract)

I would be over £100 a week better off and have 2 less learning journals etc to complete - so all round makes good business sense

But, I am not a hard hearted business woman and do have loyalty to current clients

So, I feel really confused about what to do, as equally, I would like to help this client increase her hours too - she was made redundant and has been offered a job full time and if I can't help her, she might not be able to accept the job

I was planning on stopping taking on the little contracts, as now we are finding half days or one day a week doesn't work well (took them on as work was more scarce at the time) but I had been thinking to just let the contracts come to a natural end

Now I am having to think it through

What are your thoughts? I always thought I would not even consider it, but now am mulling it over.......

Hx

mum24
17-11-2012, 09:14 PM
I fully understand how you feel.
However, you are running a business, and being very busy already, having more money and less paperwork, certainly makes business sense.
Do you know other childminders in the area who could take these two children? You would be doing the other childminder/s a favour too.

hectors house
17-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Can you do a variation to increase your numbers as this isn't new business but an existing mindee/parent needing to increase hours/days. I have just done this to have 4 mindees on a Monday while a parent has extra work til Feb. Always seems a shame to get rid of children who you needed to get you started, but I wouldn't from now on take on any children other than for a full day - I have a minimum 7 hour day, just turned down a lady who wanted 2 mornings.

migimoo
18-11-2012, 10:11 AM
As Hector's House said-you can do a variation and 'go over' your numbers as long as it's an existing client and not new business-i'm about to do this on a Tuesday so i'll have 4 under 5's as one mum is increasing hours.

Depends if you feel that many LO's is do-able for you.

Helcatt
18-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks for your support. I was half expecting to be flayed for thinking of giving notice

I have already played around with numbers to help out other clients, change of hours, increase hours and arrival of sibling.

I work with an assistant, but we are limited by the amount of space available, and taking this one on without losing others would mean that I go over the numbers that the space allows for - I am going to re-calculate it, using their space allowances, with the relevant ages of children rather than generic package and see if that changes anything (probably not)

The child in question is quite needy, but currently only comes one day a week, so think that she would not be such hard work if she was here every day. One of the children I could lose, is very hard work and he comes in the afternoons when most of his age group are asleep so misses out on the social side of things when doing activities - so much is more adult led with him

Business head says do it!

Was talking to dh last night. He was saying he would feel bad for them, but I did point out that when we gave notice to our childminder, we never even considered the impact on her. It was what we needed, due to our change of circumstances. And I was saying that these parents would be the same, if their situation changed, they wouldn't worry about us (harsh generalisation, I know) they would just do what they needed to do.

I've given myself until friday to mull it over as I would need to give 28 days notice then to finish up before christmas/new year

Hx

Helcatt
18-11-2012, 12:53 PM
I fully understand how you feel.
However, you are running a business, and being very busy already, having more money and less paperwork, certainly makes business sense.
Do you know other childminders in the area who could take these two children? You would be doing the other childminder/s a favour too.

This is also a good point. I was initially asking around to see if someone would take on the full-time child, but am thinking to flip it around and pass on the little hours to someone else

And you are right, more money and less paperwork! I currently have 10 children in the EY and only 2 full time, where the change would mean 3 full timers, 4 part time and one wrap around nursery care - seems more manageable.

One of the ones I am talking about dropping nearly left in Sept anyway, but Mum was too late applying for the nursery space she wanted so missed out until next sept - so he is only still with us because it suited her!

I'm talking myself in to it, aren't I?

Hx

sarah707
18-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Was talking to dh last night. He was saying he would feel bad for them, but I did point out that when we gave notice to our childminder, we never even considered the impact on her. It was what we needed, due to our change of circumstances. And I was saying that these parents would be the same, if their situation changed, they wouldn't worry about us (harsh generalisation, I know) they would just do what they needed to do.

Hx

Funnily enough I was just having this conversation with dp over lunch - me with my emotional head on was saying how sad I was that a certain family I'd moved heaven and earth for and supported through all sorts of crap recently had just disappeared without a backward glance...

He wondered why I was surprised! They had clearly used me for what they needed and were busy people who had separated the emotional from the practical - and that is what he thought what I needed to do.

We will always put the children's needs first - it is the nature of our job - but perhaps sometimes we do need to remember that we are not super beings and look for the more practical solutions even if they do not make us feel 100% comfortable at the time.

xx

bunyip
18-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks for your support. I was half expecting to be flayed for thinking of giving notice

I have already played around with numbers to help out other clients, change of hours, increase hours and arrival of sibling.

I work with an assistant, but we are limited by the amount of space available, and taking this one on without losing others would mean that I go over the numbers that the space allows for - I am going to re-calculate it, using their space allowances, with the relevant ages of children rather than generic package and see if that changes anything (probably not)

The child in question is quite needy, but currently only comes one day a week, so think that she would not be such hard work if she was here every day. One of the children I could lose, is very hard work and he comes in the afternoons when most of his age group are asleep so misses out on the social side of things when doing activities - so much is more adult led with him
Business head says do it!

I've given myself until friday to mull it over as I would need to give 28 days notice then to finish up before christmas/new year

Hx

Obviously I don't know the children or your situation in detail, but this does make me think that you might end up with a better mix and be able to meet their needs even better if you make the change. It's not necessarily all about the money: you might find the group dynamic is improved too. :thumbsup:

In any case, I agree that you do have to think of yourself sometimes. What if you turned down the opportunity? That wouldn't prevent any of your existing clients dropping you like a hot brick if it suited them the following week.

As has already been said, it's worth thinking of ways to soften the blow and see if you can offer a practical alternative (eg. recommending another local CM.) You don't have to feel responsible for getting them placed elsewhere, but if you handle it well then you're less likely to have any unfavourable comments or repurcussions.

You're very wise to think it over but to set yourself a 'thinking deadline' so you don't just put the decision off. :idea:

Hope it all works out well. :)

winstonian
18-11-2012, 08:35 PM
It does sound as though you have answered it yourself. I think sometimes writing it down makes it look clearer. Good luck with what you decide.

lisa1968
19-11-2012, 02:29 PM
I personally wouldn't do it-but that's just my opinion!As I see it,the other children had those spaces first and I think it's unfair to give them notice.The families of the other 2 children will have the hassle of finding other childcare and settling their children in all over again.
..but that's just how i see things!:thumbsup:

primula
19-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Just wondering if the other smaller contracts are working parents? It is difficult to change things somtimes because you feel guilty but sometimes it is necessary, also the fact that this other child arrives when the other are sleeping is arkward!

VeggieSausage
20-11-2012, 01:46 PM
You are very vulnerable if you have one full timer as if they leave then you have lost a total space and also speaking form a minder who has had 2 full tme mindees, now attending nursery part time too, you really can see too much of them and cannot repeat activities on different days.