PDA

View Full Version : feeling worried

little kingdom
16-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Im starting with my first 2 yr old in dec ive had one mindee before school age that i done a scrap book for she has now left i have got another school mindee now but not sure if ill have her for to long.
But anyway i phoned my local FIS and the lady is coming round in jan to help me with lj but...
im just so worried and have a complete mind blank as to what to do the lady from FIS has said not to worry bout doing anything yet with my mindee girl untill she comes round but im excited bout doing my first lj but absolutly terrifed that im going to get in wrong and that i cant think of activites that cover the 7 areas of l and d i know ill feel more at ease when i actually do it but untill then i cant stop thinkin bout it and i just kepp reading the eyfs i wont have a inspection till march which im relieved bout :) but want to beable i can do my job when they do come and right now i cant seem to think :(

migimoo
16-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Don't panic and don't overthink it!! tbh even if you didn't plan ANY activities then you'll be surprised how much you cover just observing them at free play....personally I just go with what they want to do as they're not too bothered about any themes at that age, I do my LJ's on a Sunday and if I notice any gaps in what we've covered eyfs-wise that week then I plan something to cover it the following week.

eg,this week we've been out every day at parks,library and groups(PD/CL/Literacy) so I made a point of staying in today and doing some Pudsey crafts/baking, finding things with spots on the laptop(ladybirds,leopards,Mr Tumble)
Just off the top of my head that then covered Expressive Arts/ICT/KUW/Maths.....job done!:thumbsup:

blue bear
17-11-2012, 04:36 PM
You will be fine, it's the waiting that is the worst. Get yourself a folder or scrapbook that will be your learning journal.
Give parents a questionnaire on child, routine likes, developmental achievements so far etc, this gives you a starting base. Then for the first few days take lots of photos, these can then be linked to the areas of learning and that will naturally gives you next steps to build on.
Don't complicate it, keep things simple, so if 'Helen' settles quickly you can link it to psed, self confidence tor making relationships, look at the enabling environment column for your next step. Best thing is to keep on top of things, so do observation and make links same day if possible and print off photo and stick it in as soon as is practical, that way it's tiny little steps and not whole weekends ploughing away trying to remember what happened when.

The reason there is no one set way to do lj's is because they are all different depending on childminder and child and cannot be 'wrong'

little kingdom
17-11-2012, 05:17 PM
You will be fine, it's the waiting that is the worst. Get yourself a folder or scrapbook that will be your learning journal.
Give parents a questionnaire on child, routine likes, developmental achievements so far etc, this gives you a starting base. Then for the first few days take lots of photos, these can then be linked to the areas of learning and that will naturally gives you next steps to build on.
Don't complicate it, keep things simple, so if 'Helen' settles quickly you can link it to psed, self confidence tor making relationships, look at the enabling environment column for your next step. Best thing is to keep on top of things, so do observation and make links same day if possible and print off photo and stick it in as soon as is practical, that way it's tiny little steps and not whole weekends ploughing away trying to remember what happened when.

The reason there is no one set way to do lj's is because they are all different depending on childminder and child and cannot be 'wrong'

Thank you both for your replys

Ill take on board what you both have said i guess in a way i want to do the lj good as its my first one but just have to wait and see which im not good at doing
iam excited about having my new mindee and looking forward to havin her and finding out what she likes and dislikes i did give mum a piece of paper with questions on like fav toy tv programme etc so hopefully get that on monday as shes coming round for an hr with lo as to get used to the setting and me and for a bit of practice for me aswell

thanks for your help feel like this forum helps me more than some other people

mushpea
17-11-2012, 08:58 PM
relax you will be fine, any activity you do can cover the areas of learning, the walk to school you comunitcate with the child because you tell them where to go and talk to them on the way, its physical developement cause if their like mine they walk, skip, run to school, its understanding the world cause you are teaching them directions to school and they are learning that the next stage is school and seeing lots in the community on the way, its mathmatics cause you see lots of colours and shapes on the way plus numbers on houses and count footsteps etc and so on ,, its a lot lot simpler than you realise and the key thing is not to read too much in to it but look for the simple answers.
I tend to go with whatever the children want to do , somtimes I have a rough idea of plans and activities in my head incase they start to get fed up and need a bit more but then mine are 4yrs and 4.5yrs old so they need that bit more input with their learning, I have learnt over the years to see when children start to get fed up and need ideas to play or activites to do and I find that this prevents behaviourl issues.