PDA

View Full Version : txt messages

disney
21-06-2008, 08:19 AM
am i the only one who hates it when parents send txts to me regarding thier children , changing times , canceling days ect im having alot of trouble mostly with one parent that sends me txts right at the last minute to say that they are ging to a mates house or something ! even txt me in the morning 5 mins before drop to say they sleept at a freinds house and will not be coming . the biggist problem is on time i left my phon at my mums and once i left it in hubby car so dont always get the messages :eek:

miffy
21-06-2008, 08:24 AM
I am useless with a mobile - I forget it or don't switch it on

I prefer always to speak to parents and they know this but it doesn't always work!

miffy xx

FizzysFriends
21-06-2008, 08:26 AM
May be you could tell them that if they dont get a reply they should presume you haven't got the message and call you?

crazybones
21-06-2008, 08:31 AM
I have told parents they need to speak to me not text over anything involving changes. I will accept a text if they are running a few mins late but I have been known to "Ignore" a text to make a point that I dont check my phone constantly and certainly not out of working hours. :D Maybe you could write a new policy.

angeldelight
21-06-2008, 08:32 AM
One of my parents do this all the time

I find it really rude if it is about something important - I usually say I did not receive it so they have to tell me again but to my face haha

Angel xx

Annie_T
21-06-2008, 08:36 AM
oh i would hate that, i think it ok if they txt see how child is or soemthing if they at work them self but not like that

i think you should write a letter/poplicy bout it hun

sarah707
21-06-2008, 08:51 AM
I've told them a few times not to use texts - if I'm busy I simply don't answer them ...

I put the normal phone's answerphone on most of the day and am happier if they leave me a message, I can listen in my own time and get back to them if necessary :D

Mollymop
21-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Text messages, to me are just a feeble way to get out of confrontations.
Especially when the parents are letting you know they are not coming at the last minute or are asking you something that they think you may so "no" too.

Pipsqueak
21-06-2008, 10:15 AM
I put it my P&Ps now and make it clear at the first interview (and have been known to put it in newsletters) that while a text to tell me their LO is poorly at 6am is fine, I prefer a phone call and won't conduct business by text. It is not reliable (texts can often arrive hours after being sent if the network is busy) and not professional.

I don't mind sending the odd text - child is fine, trying to get hold of you etc but I don't rely on them as a method of communication

Not too mention I think it can be downright rude in some instances.

Jinx
21-06-2008, 10:25 AM
I don't mind a text to say that someone is running a bit late, but make it clear that if they don't get a reply then they need to phone as I may not have got the message.

I'd rather get a text first thing in the morning as I can only grunt before 8am!!:D :D

Jinx x

flora
21-06-2008, 11:23 AM
One of my "Lot" is always texting, usually at the last min to tell me she's running late or that she won't need me.

Have made sure she knows they don't always arrive in good time if at all.

It's most annoying when she is running late. The other day she texted to say she was running late, would be about half an hour. No probs. Got text at 16.54. They should have gone at 4.30. So texted her back to ask was that 5pm or 5.30 and did the kids want feeding???

Was just about to dish up and she turned up.

Can be a pain, but I don't think you will stop parents taking the easy way out :panic:

Chimps Childminding
21-06-2008, 12:19 PM
I used to have a parent who text me instead of ringing. She lived quite far away from me but worked up the road. If she wasn't here by 7.30 ish I knew that if i turned my mobile on the chances were there would be a text saying she wasn't coming its so annoying its only polite to ring someone, and at least then you know the message has got through I too am useless with my phone, its either not on or the battery is flat!

Rainy
21-06-2008, 12:29 PM
I had the same thing the other day. The child is meant to arrive at 8.15 and i have to leave for the school run at that time which they are aware of. It got to 8.25 and they had still not arrived and we were now running late for school so i decided i would leave and they would have to wait for me to return. When i got to school i realised i hadn't switched my phone on and when i did up popped a message to say they wern't coming that day. If they had bothered to phone i wouldn't have then made 2 other children late for school.

wendywu
21-06-2008, 12:37 PM
I dont mind the odd text. People can tell me anytime that they are not comming, easy day here i come.:laughing:

But anything important then it has to be done face to face. But i do have my mobile hanging round my neck when i am out and about. DH was always moaning about never being able to reach me above the noise of toddlers. It is never switched off.

manjay
21-06-2008, 03:56 PM
I don't have a problem with texts at all. It is my preferred method of communcation. I have never had a problem with not receiving them and my mobile is always on my person somewhere. I don't have time to answer the phone during the day so replying to a text as and when I am able suits me better.

Monkey1
21-06-2008, 06:22 PM
The ones i HATE are the ones one parent sends me at 11pm on a sunday evening letting me know what hours they need for the week. But i get my own back by texting a reply at 5.30 am the follwing morning:D

chez1373
22-06-2008, 02:39 PM
The ones i HATE are the ones one parent sends me at 11pm on a sunday evening letting me know what hours they need for the week. But i get my own back by texting a reply at 5.30 am the follwing morning:D

I have this problem late on a sun giving me the weeks rota is very annoying for me as ive planned already what im to do for thsat week and 8/10 i have to be very flexable and cancel what ive planned..

I dont mind texts at all i prefer them as i dont get chance to talk on the phone but at times its annoying

disney
22-06-2008, 04:10 PM
well this parent drops her child off in the morning and does nmot get out of the car and senda a txt to tell my she injured her self over the weekend :eek:

you have all made some good points i will do a new policy on this and do a news letter and you are right sometimes i dont recieve the txt till later if at all , i also think its rude and the parent in question often sends txt like holidays and trying to swop days instead of paying for the others but like you said she would not ask face to face

thanks every one x

Spangles
22-06-2008, 06:39 PM
One of mine tends to phone me on the mobile without even trying the landline which I find REALLY annoying because a lot of the time we don't have a signal here and when we do it's very weak and liable to go at any second. I can't hear what people are saying on the mobile and then they often get cut off.

It doesn't matter how many times I explain this to them, they still call me on my mobile. I've decided to just not answer it from now on because it's a waste of time!

It's also a waste of time anyone texting me something important or needing a quick response because sometimes I don't get texts for a day or so after they've been sent!

Banana
23-06-2008, 01:36 PM
I dont mind texts from parents - so long as they send them with plenty notice. I would not be happy with a text at the last minute (luckily i no longer have parents who do this but has happened)

x