PDA

View Full Version : 2 Year old behaviour

Katy M
13-11-2012, 04:29 PM
I have minded this little boy from 9 months old. He is an only child, both parents work really hard and have serious guilt issues with him being away from them so much. They have a very softly, softly approach to behaviour. He is a very fussy child, just turned 2 years old. He is very clever and a very good talker.

Over the past 5ish weeks his behaviour has changed. Nothing has changed at home. He has started pushing, snatching, stomping, kicking and generally not being nice to the other children. He has a particular problem with an 18 month old girl that is very thin and new on her feet. She does not provoke him in any way. I have watched their interactions closely to see what leads up to his behaviour but he can go from playing with something contentedly and notice her and just go over and push her off her feet or snatch her toy. Some days it is relentless. Despite her size she is pretty tough and does not over-react.

I have been putting him in time out. I explain to him what he is doing that is unacceptable and leave him sat on his own for 2 mins. He stays there fine. I go back to him and explain again and get him to say 'sorry'. He can walk directly from time out and straight away push or hurt someone!! I talked to his mum and dad. Mum said time out doesn't work. She said to try keeping the tone up beat and move him on from the incident. I tried this last week and was exhausted by the end of the day. He was still insisting in the same pattern of behaviour. I feel like giving him no consequences to his behaviour is not teaching him anything.

Any suggestions??

Ripeberry
13-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Sounds like its just the terrible twos! Hopefully he will grow out of it...quickly :)

Ambersmum
13-11-2012, 05:08 PM
I'd do the technique you tried and just persevere and hope it will finally sink in. If he s bright then he should be capable of understanding that this negative behaviour just equals missing out on playing and being sat in time out. I have a child doing similar at the minute and she seems to be pushing and hitting less each week with this technique. I hope it improves for you as it's such a hard thing to deal with every day, you need eyes in the back of your head!

jackie 7
13-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Ok it is a boy, talking softly softly is a problem. They dont always hear your gentle voice.Gradually use a firmer voice as well as time out. I have 1 the same but he watches me and if he thinks I can't see he just sends one flying. Just read a great book Why Gender matters by Leonared Sax. Which explains why boys and girls are so different. Just be consistent and like me today get him out and walk his little legs to tiredness.