PDA

View Full Version : Observations Help

harriparri
13-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Hi,
I am a newly registered childminder and i have been caring for a 10 month old little girl for the last month. I only have her on an ad hoc basis. The first two weeks i only had her for 6 hours, last week i had her for 10 hours and this week ive had her for 4 hours so far. The amount of time i have her does seem to be increasing and i thought i should start doing observations.
I'm quite annoyed with myself as on my training i was given some observation forms to work from, but for the life of me i cannot find them. I wondered if anyone has a copy of one i can use?
I am finding planning things for her quite difficult as she usually arrives at 10am, which is nap time, she then tends to cry and cry until i can settle her (if she sleeps at all), her lunch time is 11.30. She then plays for an hour, but again is usually so tired still that she will be happy for 5 mins, cry for 10 mins and so it goes on. She is then due asleep at 1pm untill she leaves between 1 and 2pm.
At the moment i feel that i am starting from scratch everytime and just trying to keep her happy and not cry
Thanks for any help you can give me
Nicky

sarah707
13-11-2012, 06:20 PM
There are some observation samples in free resources.

The most important thing you can be doing now is getting to know her, playing with her, chatting to her and finding out what she likes / dislikes etc.

You will need to work out her 'starting points' soon - how her learning and development links to the Development Matters guidance - this will help you to be able to show she is making progress in the future.

There is help for doing this in free resources as well :D