PDA

View Full Version : School holiday letter

JCrakers
13-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Ive written to parents today about school holidays. Ive been doing them for 5yrs and as the children are getting older I'm finding it harder. Lets see if the plan will work...LOL :thumbsup:

Dear Parents,

With 15 children attending throughout the week and another starting in Feb I have decided I need to get organised in the school holidays.

As the age range of children range from 8m-9yrs its quite hard for me if the dynamics of the group isn't right in the school holidays. For instance an older child attending with no other child around the same age is often harder than having a house full.
School holidays have always been harder as there is no structure to the day, no toddler groups, no school runs etc. and in the winter months sometimes a trip to the park can't always happen if its raining and cold.

As the school children are getting older I find it difficult to keep them amused and entertained for a whole day if they are here alone. When more children attend the day is busier, more interesting and a game of football at the park or time spent playing is more exciting than being alone with maybe a 2yr old for company.

I would like to continue offering care through out the school holidays but if I find myself with 1 child then I may decide to have the day off instead and it will help you to organise other care if I give you lots of notice about this.
So please could everyone let me know of any days their child will/will not be attending in the school holidays as soon as they know so I can plan and make sure the dynamics are right.

The weeks/days are:
xxx
xxx
xxx

If I find myself with just one child or two children that are not age compatible then maybe an option could be dropping off/picking up from the school football club if there is one available as this will help to break up the day. I did this in October and it worked really well but will only work if it doesn't leave me with an older child here whilst others are at the club.

So if parents could jot down on a piece of paper or email me at xxx a day to day list of what care they need AS SOON as they know that would help me a lot. The sooner the better please. Then I can look at the lists and work out which days are workable and which days I will be having off.
If I don't receive this then I can't guarantee care in the holidays as the days chosen will be already decided.

watgem
14-11-2012, 08:06 PM
I like this idea, I might have to borrow it as I think many parents are struggling to afford holiday care, and I'm finding it increasingly challenging to find activities that appeal to such a wide age range, Parents would have to give as much notice as possible though in order for it work, but definitely woth a try I think:):):)

JCrakers
14-11-2012, 09:16 PM
The letter has spurred one Mum on to get into gear and another Mum to panic because she thought I wouldn't be doing the hols.

The trouble I have with school holidays is they are so hard. I have 8+9yr olds who are fab when together (tonight I had 8 school children) bt bored when theres no one to play with.

In the summer I had a few days where I had just 1x9yr old...it dragged on and although he has been coming here 5yrs it just bought home to be that I could have had the day off, spent it with my own two children, which I never do.

mum24
14-11-2012, 09:20 PM
The letter has spurred one Mum on to get into gear and another Mum to panic because she thought I wouldn't be doing the hols.

The trouble I have with school holidays is they are so hard. I have 8+9yr olds who are fab when together (tonight I had 8 school children) bt bored when theres no one to play with.

In the summer I had a few days where I had just 1x9yr old...it dragged on and although he has been coming here 5yrs it just bought home to be that I could have had the day off, spent it with my own two children, which I never do.

I think your letter is great, really clear and straight forward. I would be really interested though to hear if your parents do let you know what they are doing when. I am forever asking mine, and they usually tell me just a week or two before hand, and that is after me asking and asking.

winstonian
15-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Sounds really good - I will be interested to hear how it works out x

watgem
16-11-2012, 11:36 PM
I agree JJcrackers I'm constantly reminding parents to let me know their holiday needs so that I can plan for all the children who range from baby to 101/2 and ensure all appropriate risk assessments etc are in place, it would just make it so much easier:)you will hae to keep us updatedxxx

blue bear
17-11-2012, 07:18 AM
I do this, still have one family that never let me know in advance, they take pot luck what I have available, mum is so laid back, nothing phases her and everything is last minute.
I tend to only work one week if it's a two week break or four weeks in summer break so all the children concerti a into the weeks I am working, I end up with the same money. It's mega busy but so much more fun for everyone.