PDA

View Full Version : Giving up childmnding and giving notice

Phoenix
13-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi All,

I am having a hard time at the moment and need ome advice, I have just been for a job interview, this childminding lark is not working for me and I am not making enough money to help support my family either. I have got the job and they have kindly agreed to let me work one day a week for a month to get into it, then given me another month to give notice to my parents, they have been really nice and want me to make sure that I definately want to stop minding before I do the job.

My problem is that I feel so guilty that I am going to give notice to all my mindee's and I am not even sure how to word my letter and am worried what they are all going to do when they finish up, I know I shouldnt, I am after all only doing whats best for my family the same as they would do for theres. But I still feel bad, I have started a letter, explaining that unfortunately I am financially unavailable to support my family and have not option but to wind up the minding and have been fortunate enough to get another job, then I start blabbling on about hoping they understand that I am supporting my family blah blah blah!!!! But then my partner says I dont need to explain it all, I should just give notice and it be done with.

Can you guys help me, thanks in advance

QualityCare
13-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Dear X, it is with deep regret and much soul searching that l have decided to give up childminding ( (optional)as it is not financially viable to support my family) and must give you 1 months notice from x date to terminate our contract. I have enjoyed looking after x and will miss him/her and wish you all well in the future, if you should find another childminder before the termination date l will not hold you to the months fee (this is what l would do as they may end up paying to hold a place open).
I have been lucky enough to be offered a job and l start in xx.

Phoenix
13-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks, thats sounds good, will use bits of it in the letter x

manjay
13-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Congratulations on your new job:thumbsup:

It's really not an easy one but I would keep it short and sweet as QC has done. In situations like this I always remind myself that most parents don't think twice about changing their requirements if their circumstances change so we shouldn't either.

Kiddleywinks
13-11-2012, 11:02 AM
I agree with hubby, sometimes less is best lol

All I would say, in regard to giving up your registration - you are aware that you can keep your registration going with no children on roll for up to 3 years don't you?
I would stay registered for as long as possible, as it is easier to start up again should your new career not work out. If you de register, you are required to go through the whole process again -training, first aid etc, and it will probably not be funded next time around.
Obviously if you remain registered you will need to maintain your insurance too, but the costs combined for that and Ofsted over 3 years will be cheaper than having to pay for your own re-registration later.
Just a thought :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your new career :thumbsup:

Phoenix
13-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Oooooo thats a good idea, hadnt thought of that at all, will have been registered 3 years next November, what happens with Ofsted grading etc then?

What do I do with regard to HMRC as well?

I think I just feel like I am letting them down, but hubby also says they wouldnt think twice about doing it to me - suppose hes right.

JCrakers
13-11-2012, 11:44 AM
I would keep it to the point and just give a short reason of it not paying enough for you etc as everyone will probably ask why if you don't say on the letter anyway.'

It must be a hard decision but you need to think of yourself :D They'll be fine and you cant keep going just to please others.

k1rstie
13-11-2012, 01:28 PM
well done. I think kidlewinks has a point about keeping your reg going.
A minder local to me, has had to go through the process again, after giving up 2 years ago. It has cost her a lot of money and time, not to mention, she could only get a good at her inspection 9even thougth when reading the report she was fantastic!!)

Parents would not worry about giving you notice, and the part in the letter saying that you would not hold them to their months notice period is a very proffessional gesture!

Kiddleywinks
13-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Oooooo thats a good idea, hadnt thought of that at all, will have been registered 3 years next November, what happens with Ofsted grading etc then?

What do I do with regard to HMRC as well?

I think I just feel like I am letting them down, but hubby also says they wouldnt think twice about doing it to me - suppose hes right.

As far as I'm aware, you'll keep your existing grading until such a time as you're inspected again.

You can be employed and self employed at the same time, so if you decide to stay registered you can claim your ofsted and insurance costs as a self employed person with no income from self employment - I'm sure Mr A could clarify this area better.
Or you can de register with HMRC, but then you would carry the cost of fees, and should you start up again, you register with HMRC again.

Hubby's right again (but don't tell him I said so lol), if circumstances changed for a parent, they'd be giving you notice, unfortunately, time's are hard for everyone at the moment and your own families needs must come before anyone else's. Try not to beat yourself up too much :thumbsup: