PDA

View Full Version : weaving ideas please?

mushpea
13-11-2012, 09:22 AM
anyone got any ideas on weaving or threading crafts/activities? ages are 4.5yrs, 4yrs, 2.5yrs and 16months.
we are weaving at the childrens center next wednesday and as I have no themes this month I thought I could carry it on all week, I have threading cards and buttons but wanted somthing they could take home too

Mouse
13-11-2012, 09:30 AM
I saw an idea (not sure if it was on here or facebook) where the children had coloured in pictures (might have been pumpkins). The pictures were cut out & laminated then had holes punched in them. Add a lace or ribbon & you have homemade threading cards for the children to take home :thumbsup:

Ballette
13-11-2012, 09:42 AM
What a nice simple idea! :)

loocyloo
13-11-2012, 01:28 PM
holes punched around the edge of a paperplate?

holes punched around old christmas or birthday cards?

maybe thread some tube pasta to make necklaces?

VeggieSausage
13-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Paint plate black and hole punch round the edge - string through and make a spiders web....

Obstacle course with items placed in a line and children have to weave in and out of them....

jadavi
13-11-2012, 05:29 PM
another nice idea is to wind wool round and round along the end or side of a book for them to weave onto.
Then pull off for a little mat,

mushpea
14-11-2012, 08:28 AM
thanks for the lovely ideas folks,, will definatly be doing some of them

hectors house
14-11-2012, 08:42 AM
I did a weaving activity years ago with strips of wallpaper - I stuck the down strips to a plastic lunch mat or my table with cellotape and then they did weaving across with different coloured strips - then just folded the ends over and cellotaped when they had finished.

I had forgotten about that - may try it again with Xmas wrapping paper strips!

mrs coops
14-11-2012, 11:16 AM
I went on a course recently where the lady used a metal sieve and pipe cleaners for threading have tried it since and its brilliant the lo's love it :clapping:

k1rstie
14-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I recently bought some small transparent backets from poundland. From the bathroom soapholders, cups, and bits section.They are about a5 in size , and about 4 inches tall, with a couple of rows of holes round the edges. I was thinking of weaving christmassy ribbon into them.

I also bought a pile of rectagular mats that go into the bottom of your kitchen sink. Not used them yet, but thought they could be good for weaving ribbon, strips of bags, etc. You might also be able to get these from a pound shop (mine were from tesco but a discontinued line)

Toothfairy
14-11-2012, 02:55 PM
I've used a shoebox and punched holes in the top, the children then used pipe cleaners and push the ends into the holes. You end up with a 3D weaved effect as the pipe cleaners weave over and under each other.

On a larger scale, I have attached some of that orange plastic netting used around building sites, onto an old clothes rail.
The children can then stand either side and weave large ribbon, scarves and long strips of material through it.

HTH :thumbsup:

hectors house
14-11-2012, 04:39 PM
I've used a shoebox and punched holes in the top, the children then used pipe cleaners and push the ends into the holes. You end up with a 3D weaved effect as the pipe cleaners weave over and under each other.

On a larger scale, I have attached some of that orange plastic netting used around building sites, onto an old clothes rail.
The children can then stand either side and weave large ribbon, scarves and long strips of material through it.

HTH :thumbsup:

Just imagining all the people who fell in the hole at the building site after you "borrowed" the orange netting!!:laughing:

Toothfairy
14-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Just imagining all the people who fell in the hole at the building site after you "borrowed" the orange netting!!:laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:
My DH is a Chartered Surveyor, he asked a builder mate to liberate some. I only wanted a little and the guy gave me a whole roll. So I've got loads if anyone wants any :D

ChocolateChip
14-11-2012, 05:48 PM
I've got some orange netting aswell, but that was supplied by a parent, legitimately may I add, lol!
Could also use green garden mesh or chicken wire if you're careful with the ends.
Cheap wicker baskets, the type with holes round the edges, lengths or thin ribbon or wool round large pine cones, tying wool or stretching large rubber bands across a box or piece of stiff card to make a 'loom', making notches round the edge of a paper plate or card circle, stringing threads across and then weaving from the centre like a spider web, making god's eyes by twining wool round two crossed sticks, simple 'in and out' weaving with strips of paper, or long thin leaves- there is a plant my gran used to have in her garden, quite tall with orange 'droplet' flowers, don't know what it's called but we used to spend hours weaving mats from the leaves!

Kidz-Care
16-11-2012, 01:00 PM
We have made some weaved Christmas tree decorations. Just cut out a shape of a decoration from card and put slits the full length down them about 1cm apart then thread strips of coloured paper through the slits alternately under and over ( really hard to explain hope you're getting the idea). They have made lovely decorations! :)

VeggieSausage
19-11-2012, 10:24 PM
We have made some weaved Christmas tree decorations. Just cut out a shape of a decoration from card and put slits the full length down them about 1cm apart then thread strips of coloured paper through the slits alternately under and over ( really hard to explain hope you're getting the idea). They have made lovely decorations! :)

Made Christmas decs already!!! I better get a move on a plan what I am going to do.... :thumbsup: