PDA

View Full Version : ideas for play needed

Helen79
12-11-2012, 08:34 PM
I have a 2 year old mindee who doesn't really play with many toys but loves sorting, posting, filling, tipping etc. I have a box of threading buttons and old milk bottle tops that she plays with all the time and have made some postboxes out of cardboard boxes but would like more ideas what she might like to play with.

I have no money for any new resources so needs to be cheap/recycled. The counting bears (http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=16247&es=7691210000W) are the kind of things I'm thinking that she would like but buying anything new is going to have to wait until after xmas :(

zippy
12-11-2012, 08:46 PM
What about some sensory boxes, coloured rice, jewels, scoops, egg cups tongs and things, maybe fake rose petals and some little fairies or whatever you have around really, try and theme it like a fairy box or just stick to one colour and put anything that colour in.

miffy
12-11-2012, 09:01 PM
What about making some sensory bottles - fill with glitter/sparkles/small toys and she can enjoy tipping these and seeing what happens.

Search the charity shops and pound shops for cheap items to sort - I bought some small, cheap balls from a pound shop - in summer we've had them outside on strings like a giant abacus for the children to count; today they've been sorting them into different sized containers by number and colour indoors.

Try laminating (they'll last longer) envelopes, tickets, leaflets (or just use your junk mail) for them to post and sort by size. Wrap up different sized boxes to build with or sort.

HTH's

Miffy xx

Helen79
12-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I've tried sensory trays with lentils, rice, pasta but most of it gets tipped onto the floor instead of staying in the tub. i obviously don't mind a bit getting split but she's more interested in transporting objects around in bags and filling and emptying in different areas.
I'll make some sensory bottles for next time she's here.

Laminating cards is a good idea so will try definitely try that. She likes the playing cards which are getting ripped so I'll laminate some of the pack for her to play with.

The Juggler
12-11-2012, 09:49 PM
just lots of empty boxes hon, shoeboxes, whatever, tupperware, fill with blocks, buttons, etc. give her trollies and buggies for transporting them :thumbsup:

lynncjt
14-11-2012, 10:00 PM
I have a 2 year old mindee who doesn't really play with many toys but loves sorting, posting, filling, tipping etc. I have a box of threading buttons and old milk bottle tops that she plays with all the time and have made some postboxes out of cardboard boxes but would like more ideas what she might like to play with.

I feel very silly - I'd not thought of making 'post boxes' did it today and the 2, 3 and 4 year old all wanted their own! 3 year old wanted the cars down to post the cars!

Also gave them cut down plastic milk bottles so they still had the handles but could transport things with them or use them as scoops.