PDA

View Full Version : Planning and EYFS Development for Ad Hoc Children

Stapleton83
12-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Ok here is the thing I have a couple of children who come to me on an ad hoc basis, both of whom I know quite well now.

My NCMA development officer wants to come out and see me in situ and I will have one of them here and she has said that is fine so long as I can show her what planning etc I do for them and it got me thinking and wondering what everyone else does or any suggestions as to what I should be doing.

Any help very much appreciated.

Sam x

samb
12-11-2012, 09:03 PM
How often do you have your ad hoc children? I have 1 who has come to me for 3 hours a week for this term. I don't do a full learning journey for him. I have a scrap book and if he has done anything with me that I can photograph or makes marks etc I stick it in there. If it is something that he has tried and not quite succeeded in I make a note at the bottom of the page saying to provide resources again or repeat activity etc and then if we have and he does anything different I just pop the evidence in there too.

I do some group planning and as he is similar age to 1 I have 3 days a week I just make a note to adapt certain activities for both of them. Hope that helps.

Stapleton83
12-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Hi,

Just to clarify the little girl who comes to me on an ad hoc basis will have been for 4 days in the last 5 months so when I say ad hoc I mean ad hoc that said she did come to me for 5 hours a week in term time only up until the end of March but her mum took her learning journey etc and never brings it with her.

The little boy who comes on an ad hoc basis only starting coming in September and has been for 2 days with a further 4 booked until the end of December.

So I guess the answer to your question is very ad hoc and often the gaps in between are such that I am almost starting from scratch each time!

I do consider their likes/dislikes in terms of planning activities as well as where they were the last time they came to me but it is exceptionally difficult. Tell me what you think.

Sam x

samb
12-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Wow yes that is very ad hoc! I would keep a very loose log of what the children are doing when they are with me - as in even just write in your own diary that xxx is very into trains and spent most of the time making tracks. I would then "work in partnership with parents", so when parents book a slot with you maybe they can answer some simple emailed questions to help you keep up with the child's development? Something like - is there a toy/program etc that your child is particulary into at the moment? Do you feel there is anything significant that your child has achieved since last in my care? etc, I wouldn't do a huge plan or anything, just have these things in mind when they come. It will show you are working in partnership for the benefit of the child and help the child feel comfortable considering they may be unsettled if they are not with you often. I would include the child in any photo displays or books you have so they feel a sense of belonging. If you find that the child is booked in a few times closer together you might want to add a next step or otherwise suggest activities to the parent and ask them if they tried them and any feedback - maybe lending them a book or story sack or something? It's so difficult as yes you have to do something but really it is about helping that child to feel safe and secure in your setting and knowing from parent where they are at.