PDA

View Full Version : CHILDRENS PLANNING, WHERE DO YOU KEEP IT?

silvermist
12-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Hi, I was just wondering where you all put your individual planning. My los have two folders, their learning journal one and a confidential one with contracts, family info in etc. I have been keeping it in their LJs but the folder is going to be huge at this rate. What do you all do? xx

AliceK
12-11-2012, 01:40 PM
I used to have a weekly planning sheet for each child, just 1 x A4 with each day on it which would be kept in the individual childs LJ but I have recently stopped doing that and now just make notes in my work diary re things I have planned. I no longer do written in-depth planning for each child, most of it is in my head.

xxxx

BucksCM
12-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Easy...in my head!:D

silvermist
12-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Oh ok, what if Ofsted want to see it though? Dont you have to be able to show progression and next steps through planning? Im confused now, it doesnt take alot lol xx

ChocolateChip
12-11-2012, 04:54 PM
I don't do written planning other than jot a few ideas down which cover a monthly theme, whether we end up doing this though is down to the children's interests!
I show progression and next steps in my lj's, there is a chart of the stages of development which show progression as they move through them and there is space on their obs sheets to note any next steps and characteristics of learning, this is in effect the planning for that child.

silvermist
12-11-2012, 05:20 PM
super, dont need to do so much then by the sounds of it xx

BucksCM
12-11-2012, 05:43 PM
because i have 2 lo under 2, I plan in my head what I want to do with them but they are not at the age where a planned activity is what is needed as we tend to go with the flow and see where the play takes us.
I do write notes/ideas for future play in my diary...but not planning sheets.
ie 22mo loves to markmake...one week I got the chalk boards out...he loved them. He also loves water and his language was dominated by words relating to water...puddle, splash, wet...so I took it a step further and gave him a pot of water and a paintbrush to use on the chalkboards. He really enjoyed the activity.
I hadn't planned it.

sarah707
12-11-2012, 05:49 PM
It is a requirement of the Eyfs to share children's routines with their parents - so there is a routine sheet which is updated regularly.

I then use my play plans (there is a copy in free resources) - these show individual / next steps planning, observations etc on one sheet of paper per month (for a part timer).

group planning is kept in a big file in month order.

Hth :D

silvermist
12-11-2012, 06:01 PM
It is a requirement of the Eyfs to share children's routines with their parents - so there is a routine sheet which is updated regularly.

I then use my play plans (there is a copy in free resources) - these show individual / next steps planning, observations etc on one sheet of paper per month (for a part timer).

Hi Sarah, I use your play planning sheets(monthly) and have a seperate weekly individual plan to follow a childs interests and find them really useful. Is this too much paperwork? Would I keep them in lj or seperate planning file.

BucksCM
12-11-2012, 06:01 PM

Which i do every morning and evening with mum.:D
I'm not printing off and filling in sheets just to keep ofsted happy when i don't really need to. It may mean that an inspector has to ask me more questions and stay longer, but I don't care, that's what they are paid for.

sarah707
12-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Hi Sarah, I use your play planning sheets(monthly) and have a seperate weekly individual plan to follow a childs interests and find them really useful. Is this too much paperwork? Would I keep them in lj or seperate planning file.

If it works for you and it's useful then no, you are not doing too much!!

I would keep it in the child's file.

We all do things in different ways - if we are happy with them then why change things?

Sometimes it is good to play with something new - see how it goes - tweak it - sack it if it isn't working or adopt it if it makes life easier.

I think that we are so lucky we can do it this way :D

silvermist
12-11-2012, 06:12 PM
I agree, thanks for advice all xx

mrs robbie williams
13-11-2012, 06:48 AM
I do a sheet each week for each child and it goes in their learning journey, i then update it at the end of the week to say if we actually did what i had planned and if not i bring it forward to the following week - my do gave me the sheet i use, i can share it if anyone wants to see it xx

VeggieSausage
13-11-2012, 07:38 AM
I have a monthly play plan for each child which includes their interests etc and I put it in their LJ each month.....i struggle where to put paperwork and in what folder too!!

silvermist
13-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks for all the replies. xx

lilac_dragon
13-11-2012, 10:07 AM
I do a sheet each week for each child and it goes in their learning journey, i then update it at the end of the week to say if we actually did what i had planned and if not i bring it forward to the following week - my do gave me the sheet i use, i can share it if anyone wants to see it xx

I'd be interested in seeing it please, thanks.

lynnfi
13-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Hi Silvermist
I keep all my things in a big A4 notebook. So I plan my activities there, make some impromtu risk assessments that I can then type if I want to, search for activities on the internet and take notes on what I like, with drawings, plans, good internet addresses, children assessments (that can be written in a formal letter afterwards from time to time) etc etc. Everything is in it and I make it for me, not for Ofsted etc, but I know I have evth in there to show them if they ask. I do not like building up evidence for them to judge. I like doing things for myself and the children, make it really personal, and do it my way.
Hope this helps.:)

silvermist
13-11-2012, 10:17 AM
That sounds fab, thank you xx