PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Time Off - when to ask parents?

Tippy Toes
12-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Hi All

Every year I ask parents to complete a calender type form letting me know what days they child will be attending over the xmas period. It allows me to decide what days I want to book off as if I have only one child attending I usually will book the day off.

Just wondering when do you think is best for me to send out the calendar? In was thinking this week but worried its too early?

Many thanks :)

Pipsqueak
12-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Now - you need time to collate and then organise!

I had two sets of parents asking me about my xmas arrangements just after the summer hols

AliceK
12-11-2012, 11:22 AM
I tell all my parents when I will be closed over Christmas in the January before. Because I have my own young children I always take a few days before christmas off and go back in the new year.

xxx

Tippy Toes
12-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Now - you need time to collate and then organise!

I had two sets of parents asking me about my xmas arrangements just after the summer hols

Thanks Pipsqueak, was worrying it was too early to send out.

Also you don't think its cheeky to asking parents what time they are having off before I tell them what I want off??

Thanks x

rickysmiths
12-11-2012, 11:26 AM
I did mine at the end of September! Everyone is off from 21st Dec to 2nd Jan so I get the week off on full pay :clapping:

amanda1309
12-11-2012, 11:32 AM
I tell mine in January what I will be off over Christmas and I remind them again about now :laughing:

rickysmiths
12-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks Pipsqueak, was worrying it was too early to send out.

Also you don't think its cheeky to asking parents what time they are having off before I tell them what I want off??

Thanks x

No that is exactly what I do and I have the week off until after New Year and the parents will pay because it is their holiday. I give them a grid at the end of Sept asking what days they will be taking off or that they need me and I tell them I need it early so I can plan my family things around Christmas. I didn't get any of the forms back until after half term.

Next year I am thinking of putting on them: 'If this form is not returned to me before ........ I will assume you are taking holiday for all the days detailed on the form'.

Tippy Toes
12-11-2012, 11:41 AM
No that is exactly what I do and I have the week off until after New Year and the parents will pay because it is their holiday. I give them a grid at the end of Sept asking what days they will be taking off or that they need me and I tell them I need it early so I can plan my family things around Christmas. I didn't get any of the forms back until after half term.

Next year I am thinking of putting on them: 'If this form is not returned to me before ........ I will assume you are taking holiday for all the days detailed on the form'.

Thanks for the help rickysmiths x

mushpea
12-11-2012, 11:49 AM
I dont wait for them to tell me I tell them when I am not working, I ususaly take the week between christams and new year off to spend time with my family, If im not working then I dont charge as the space is not avablibe, if I gamble and wait for them to tell me , because they pay when they dont come for their holidays then they could change their mind at the last minute and want me to have them anyway.

Goatgirl
12-11-2012, 02:39 PM
HI:)

It is fine if you want to ask now: just say when you need to know by, maybe give a reminder a week before you need to know and if they haven't let you know by then, make the decision that works best for you anyway :). Until I recently decided to only work term time, I used to ask parents to let me know by 4 weeks in advance of the first day of school hols and made no secret of the fact that I would only be open if there was enough demand. :thumbsup:

Made the decision to stick to term time as pnly had one year round family and it wasn't worth my while opening for one child. As the other parents hardly needed me and always on short notice the year round family kept getting messed around so now at least they know when they've to make alternative arrangements for. I love having all school hols off: I just have to budget v carefully!

good luck :)

miffy
12-11-2012, 02:41 PM
I'd ask now too and I'd put a date to be returned by on the form.

Miffy xx

PrettyFlowers
12-11-2012, 05:09 PM
What kind of form do you use for this? I have been trying to make one, but I'm hopeless on the computer!

I would be eternally grateful if anyone has one I could adapt for my setting. :D

hectors house
12-11-2012, 05:45 PM
I ask parents what they want me for - then if no-one wants me I can charge half fee - if I tell them in advance when I am off I can't charge them anything. I have one parent who works in a pub so she will be working normal days but there again her gran will prob be off. I need all the money I can get as going ski-ing in Jan and taking week off then.

sarah707
12-11-2012, 06:08 PM
We take the time off and let parents know nice and early so they can make their plans :D

Tazmin68
12-11-2012, 06:21 PM
I am taking week of 24 dec and New Year's Day. I do a quarterly newsletter and told everyone last Easter. I advised everyone in September that we were going away for two weeks in June next year not been away for two weeks for over 10 years. Like others I do not charge if I am not working but I would rather do that and spend quality time with my two boys.

rickysmiths
12-11-2012, 06:39 PM
I dont wait for them to tell me I tell them when I am not working, I ususaly take the week between christams and new year off to spend time with my family, If im not working then I dont charge as the space is not avablibe, if I gamble and wait for them to tell me , because they pay when they dont come for their holidays then they could change their mind at the last minute and want me to have them anyway.

The thing is I don't mind working during that time I would rather take my holiday at a different time. I just like to know what the parents are doing because if they are off then I can make different plans.

rickysmiths
12-11-2012, 06:43 PM
What kind of form do you use for this? I have been trying to make one, but I'm hopeless on the computer!

I would be eternally grateful if anyone has one I could adapt for my setting. :D

I just listed the days from Monday 24th Dec to Friday 4th Jan and asked them to tick the days they were taking as holiday.

I include Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day as well because I am prepared to work them with notice but for 3 x my normal fee if they are not used and they fall on a contracted day they are paid for. In 18 years I have been asked to work one Boxing Day and it was great fun I was paid £150 so well worth it!

Dragonfly
12-11-2012, 07:24 PM
I give my whole years holiday dates in Jan or feb.:thumbsup:

cathtee
12-11-2012, 07:34 PM
I give out my hols in January each year, but this year I have been asked already which week in august i will be off, so I have chosen
my weeks for next year already and notified some parents, as for xmas week I asked last week who wants me and when, so far nobody
wants me xmas eve so day off full pay :clapping: don't do xmas day or boxing day so just need to have all kids off on thurs day and then I
get the full week off :clapping:

tialil
12-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Its never to early to plan ahead ;)

At the moment my minded children dont normally come in the shool holidays and I have had quite a few weeks this year without them but cant really plan weeks ahead as parents that pay a retainer can change their mind to use a place as long as they give correct notice as per contract , meaning that basically I am on call (sort off).

I normally book 1 week off over Christmas and make myself avaiable for the other week but as hubby is on shut down for nearly 2 weeks and we have had hardly any time off together I thought why not book both weeks. Yes I dont get a retainer for the one week but I am with hubby with out the worry of being asked to work . I cant wait to be honest as we have both had a very trying/emotional/draining/ etc etc etc year and so looking forward to the break together :D

peanuts
13-11-2012, 07:01 AM
i always gave my holiday list out in january to the parents or whenever i had a new start the dates were in the info pack.

in the 12 year i childminded i only once worked a couple of days during xmas/new year as both parents were working and it was only for 1/2 days.

Daisy De
13-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Give my holiday dates in January, although most parents forget, lose the sheet and need constant reminders as the time approaches.

I charge full for parents holidays and nothing for mine, don't wait for parents to book anymore though just accept the loss of earnings as essential to remaining sane :laughing:

Tippy Toes
13-11-2012, 10:16 AM

Hi PrettyFlowers, I print off a calender page (Google calender) for December and ask parents to tick days child will be attending and put a cross in days child will not be attending. Hope this helps.

Tippy Toes
13-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. :) You have been very helpful.

I have printed off a calender page for December and will be sending it out this week asking parents to confirm days they need me. If no demand for certain days then I will probably end up taking the day off.

xx

smurfette
18-11-2012, 11:56 AM
I WNt to take just over a week off, finishing friday 21st (as we go out for family dinner in the afternoon on the 24th) and not go back until the 2nd. Can I charge for the bank holidays in between even thiugh i wont work them just like a bank holiday Monday?

jane5
18-11-2012, 03:17 PM
I WNt to take just over a week off, finishing friday 21st (as we go out for family dinner in the afternoon on the 24th) and not go back until the 2nd. Can I charge for the bank holidays in between even thiugh i wont work them just like a bank holiday Monday?

Last year I asked parents what they needed and all but 1 family kept their child off and I got full pay. 1 child came for a couple of mornings so it wasn't too bad. I felt guilty asking for full pay on bank holidays if I wasn't prepared to work on the other days.

This year I have taken 24th, 27th, 28th and 31st December as holidays at no charge and have put on the invoices that all bank holidays are full fees as in the contract. I havnt messed about feeling guilty this year, I work hard and give them excellent care for their lo's and deserve to take some time off and not lose too much money by still charging for bank holidays. Not 1 parent has questioned this and are gratefully that I am not charging for some of the days as most would not send their child anyway. It's also ironic that the 1 child that would still come is away on holiday over Christmas so I could have still charged full fees and not have any lo's.
My dd started school in September so it is important to me to spend the Christmas holidays with her and nobody else.

Starfish007
18-11-2012, 07:20 PM
My parents know my holidays at least 12 months in advance, giving them loads of time to make arrangements, I take 4 weeks at no fee. When giving out my holidays this year though I've got parents to sign a slip to say they have recieved them, as I was constantly reminding them nearer the time, but now they have signed they cant say I haven't informed them x

BucksCM
18-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Mmmmm...I don't "ask for time off" ...I tell the parents.
A good few years ago i did...and in the end I workd a couple of days between christmas and new year with just 1 child. I decided that I wouldn't do it again and tell parents at the interview stage that i have a definate 3 weeks a year, 2 in the summer hols and the week between christmas and new year(or however it falls)
I really can't be waiting for 3-5 sets of parents to let me know what they are doing...which is why I tell them.:D

Chimps Childminding
19-11-2012, 10:18 AM
I usually take the school christmas holidays off!! Last year 2 sets of parent said they NEEDED me, so I offered to work between Christmas and New Year!! Ended up with just one child each day and later found out both parents were actually off work :angry: (I don't charge if I'm off so not the excuse that they had to pay) - reverting back to original plan ie I close for 2 weeks over christmas!!!!

moggy
19-11-2012, 11:18 AM
I have 3 working days over the school Xmas hols, I have just emailed the 2 parents who use me these days saying 'to help me plan that fortnight I would like to know if they are sending their child on those 3 days or not' (listed the dates and asked for reply by Mon by email). I am happy to work the days but don't want to find out at last min. they are actually not coming! If I know who I am going to have I can plan appropriately.