PDA

View Full Version : starting up

julie72
11-11-2012, 04:23 PM
hi everyone im thinking about going into childminding after xmas as my 4 girls are now grown up with eldest being 21 and youngest 11.i havent worked for 12 years as ive been full time carer for my dad who had dementia.my ?s are where do i start?ive read that i need to be registered,how do i do this.im planning on turning my front room into a playroom,wouid this be acceptable.my garden is quite small but couid get outdoor toys in it.wouid i need a sleep room.how much wouid it cost to register.do i need other qualificationsapart from first aid?couid i get finacial help with starting up?couid my 19 yr old be a assistant whilse at home? do toys have to be brand new?sorry for lots of ?s bbut woouid appreaciate any help thanks

moggy
11-11-2012, 05:52 PM
hi everyone im thinking about going into childminding after xmas as my 4 girls are now grown up with eldest being 21 and youngest 11.i havent worked for 12 years as ive been full time carer for my dad who had dementia.my ?s are where do i start?ive read that i need to be registered,how do i do this.im planning on turning my front room into a playroom,wouid this be acceptable.my garden is quite small but couid get outdoor toys in it.wouid i need a sleep room.how much wouid it cost to register.do i need other qualificationsapart from first aid?couid i get finacial help with starting up?couid my 19 yr old be a assistant whilse at home? do toys have to be brand new?sorry for lots of ?s bbut woouid appreaciate any help thanks

where do i start?
Phone your local authority, family info service or early years service and ask for their proceedure. There should be an intro course they run for free.

ive read that i need to be registered,how do i do this
See above, all will be explained on pre-reg intro course.

im planning on turning my front room into a playroom,wouid this be acceptable
Nice, but not necessary, you can use any space to play in!

wouid i need a sleep room
You have to consider where a baby or toddler might nap- could be a bedroom, separate room downstairs, quiet corner of playroom if you can keep it calm and quiet, etc.

how much wouid it cost to register
There is a fee, and you need to think about insurance for Public liability... actually I think all the answers you need are here: www.*************

do i need other qualificationsapart from first aid?
Yes, CYPOP5 or equivalent as decided by your local authority.

couid i get finacial help with starting up
You can ask Local auth but generally funding very hard to find if not impossible, but start up costs are not high.

couid my 19 yr old be a assistant whilse at home
Yes, she would need first aid qual to be left alone for children and there are limits to how long she could be left with them

do toys have to be brand new
No, just clean, safe and appropriate.

sarah707
12-11-2012, 06:03 PM
You have had some excellent advice from Moggy - I just wanted to wish you a speedy journey through registration.

We are always here if you need us :D