PDA

View Full Version : Space

Jodie1989
11-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Hello,

I hope someone that is good at the maths side can help- its probabley very easy to work out but I can't get my head around it. Firstly my minding room is 15ft by 10ft. How many children can I have, I know the EYFS states space requirements for ages etc but I can't work it out!!! I have children wanting to start but need to check space, I also have a playroom upstairs which I need to measure.

Thanks in advance
Jodie

sarah707
11-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Are you registered with Ofsted?

If so you can have as many children as are stated on your registration certificate - which is normally 6 under 8 with your own children taking up spaces within the 6 (if relevant).

The spaces rules come in if you want to care for more than 6 under 8 by, for example, employing an assistant or working with another childminder.

If you did this you would need to get planning permission first and there are rules about employing assistants / staff in the Eyfs.

Hth :D

freckleonear
11-11-2012, 02:38 PM
That's 150 square feet, which is about 14 square metres. That's more than enough for any combination of 3 children under 5 years old. Remember it's only the useable space of each room that counts, but you can include floor space in hallways, etc.

Jodie1989
11-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Are you registered with Ofsted?

If so you can have as many children as are stated on your registration certificate - which is normally 6 under 8 with your own children taking up spaces within the 6 (if relevant).

The spaces rules come in if you want to care for more than 6 under 8 by, for example, employing an assistant or working with another childminder.

If you did this you would need to get planning permission first and there are rules about employing assistants / staff in the Eyfs.

Hth :D

Thanks for reply- yes I am register with ncma and ofsted :)

I had four children under 5 allowed when working with my assistant who is self employed- but now have a new extention :) what is the planning permission bit? I'm not aware of this, how does it work?

Jodie1989
11-11-2012, 04:28 PM
That's 150 square feet, which is about 14 square metres. That's more than enough for any combination of 3 children under 5 years old. Remember it's only the useable space of each room that counts, but you can include floor space in hallways, etc.

Thank you this is a really helpful reply :) I have this space again in my new extention , I also work with my assistant too so does that mean I am perfectly alright to have 6 under 5's with 2 staff and the room I have- i can meet all needsas have looked at it very carefully, I phoned ofsted who said they know longer give variations as the new calculations are in EYFS(which I know but like clarification to be sure)

Thank you very much
Jodie

sarah707
11-11-2012, 05:12 PM
If you want to care for more than 6 children under the age of 8 at the same time you might need to apply for planning permission from your local authority.

If you do need to apply then you must not go over 6 under 8 until you have had the permission authorised.

If you need to apply and you do not apply you might not be insured.

It can take up to 3 months depending on your local authority - that's the average time scale - costs around £350 and is NOT guaranteed.

It affects all kinds of things like the way your home is classed for council tax - I am not an expert you should get advice really if you are told you need to apply.

I hope this helps :D

Jodie1989
12-11-2012, 07:49 AM
If you want to care for more than 6 children under the age of 8 at the same time you might need to apply for planning permission from your local authority.

If you do need to apply then you must not go over 6 under 8 until you have had the permission authorised.

If you need to apply and you do not apply you might not be insured.

It can take up to 3 months depending on your local authority - that's the average time scale - costs around £350 and is NOT guaranteed.

It affects all kinds of things like the way your home is classed for council tax - I am not an expert you should get advice really if you are told you need to apply.

I hope this helps :D

Thanks Sarah, I won't be going over 6 children, but am I allowed 6 under 5,s with my registered assistant with the space I stated in message before, aslong as meeting all children's needs?

rickysmiths
12-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Do not assume that you can have 6 under 8s whatever. That number will be less if you have less space so no you can't automatically have 6 under 8s and then only apply the space rules to any over that!

Jodie1989
12-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Do not assume that you can have 6 under 8s whatever. That number will be less if you have less space so no you can't automatically have 6 under 8s and then only apply the space rules to any over that!

Please read the space comments above.

Jodie1989
12-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Sorry maybe I'm not making myself clear as people I think are getting confused by what I'm asking.

This is what I would like advice on please

Working with a registered assistant for two days per week( who is currently registering as a childminder), I have two rooms for the children to play in both 10ft by just over 14ft (only counting the useable space in the two rooms) is this enough space to mind 6 under 5's, one being my son and one being assistants daughter.( not that this matters as I know all children are counted in the 6)

Both experienced childcare providers who know the children's needs and abilities.
Thanks
Jodie :)