PDA

View Full Version : New Flooring - any recommendations?

mum24
10-11-2012, 10:06 PM
I am looking to get my living room carpet replaced, except I am really undecided on what to get. What I do know is that I really don't want carpet!! My front door opens to a small hallway then straight into the living room and then through the french doors into the back garden. It is really impossible to keep clean in winter when we are in and out so much. I do try to keep shoes off before coming in, but with lo's toilet training, they don't have time to stop and fiddle with shoes. I have a steam cleaner which is fantastic, but I am fed up of cleaning all the time and want something much easeir, preferably that I can just mop or wipe individual spills.
I really fancy cork, but my hubby is dead against it saying that it is not hard wearing at all. So thought maybe cushion floor, but just can't decide.
Has anyone got anything that works really well for them? Any recommendations?
Also limited budget....

lynncjt
11-11-2012, 07:50 AM
I have laminate in the playroom/dining room but find it very cold and hard on the knees for an old lady like me! So have ended up covering most of it with rugs or foam squares but at least they can be moved to be cleaned unlike carpet.

rickysmiths
11-11-2012, 09:21 AM
We inherited laminate when we moved to this house 8 years ago and it drove me nuts. The noise was awful, everyone clip clapped on it.

We we had out extension done two years ago we had Karndean Flooring fitted. It is a very good quality Vinyl flooring. It does not 'clip clap' when people walk on it so 100% less noise. The other big thing is it feels warm under foot in this kind of cold weather, I am sat here with no socks or slippers on and I could never have done that with the laminate floor.

This is what we have all through our ground floor with the exception of our living room which is not used for cm and has a carpet.

Karndean Van Gogh Burnt Ginger VG5-7 Vinyl Flooring - FlooringSupplies.co.uk (http://www.flooringsupplies.co.uk/vinyl/6169/karndean_van_gogh_burnt_ginger_vg5-7_vinyl_flooring?adtype=pla&keyword=&gclid=CIXlturIxrMCFSnJtAod-ncAtw)

I would highly recommend it. t is easy to clean and when fitted by a recognised, trained fitter, has a min of 15 years guarantee and up to 25yrs depending on the style you choose.

I don't know where you live but if you are interested I would be happy to pass on the name of our fitter who was very reasonable. The flooring cost, fitted, about the same as a good quality carpet. Don't necessarily pay heed to the online prices and be put off get a quote for your area.

kel1983
11-11-2012, 11:02 AM
we have bamboo wooden flooring in our dining room. This is the first room everyoe walks through. Its brilliant to clean. We use to have a cream carpet in there (seemed a good idea before we started childminding). We do seem to have to sweep it atleast 5 times a day but thats the good thing abou wooden floor. We would never have wooden floor in our lunge though (personal opinion). Our lounge is very large and would feel cold. I also think its nice to have carpet for the children to play on.

QualityCare
11-11-2012, 11:50 AM
We have laminate and had a good quality insulation put down first (which is recommended) it is not cold underfoot we always walk around bare foot.

Logan
11-11-2012, 06:22 PM
We have laminate and had a good quality insulation put down first (which is recommended) it is not cold underfoot we always walk around bare foot.

We had our old carpet replaced about a year ago. We chose a good quality laminate for our through lounge / dining room & it isn't cold to walk on. We did however put down a rug to break up the space & for children to play on - although they don't actually seem bothered about whether they're on the rug or the laminate. We have Karndean in our kitchen / utility / downstairs toilet & it looks good as well as being very practical.

So pleased with our choices - much more practical & looks better too.

mum24
12-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Thank you very much everyone for your replies, think I will have a look at kamdean flooring.