PDA

View Full Version : Faecal Spores?

katflynn83
08-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Hi everyone,

I just had my pre reg inspection and I have a few questions. Hope someone can help?

My main one is has anyone ever been told they need to change their mindees on the bathroom floor. I have a changing unit set up in my lb's room but have been informed that when you open a nappy faecal spores enter the atmosphere and then land on toys etc so they cant be played with. I understand infection control is paramount but is this right?

Other things include

putting a lock on a panel in my toilet the needs a screwdriver/knife to prize open
Finding a way to clean the light cord in the bathroom
relay the tiles on bathroom floor as you cant keep in between clean
cover all exposed wood with paint

There was other things to as I expected but just not sure if some of the list is a bit extreme.

Also the inspector hadnt red my policies or procedures before she visited and has told me will need 3/4 visits before registration.

I would just appreciate someone telling me if this is right?

Also I have put a lot of effort into my policies and house and paid out a lot of money to now be told I canb only have one over and one under 5 ( I have one of each myself)

Confused and need help please!

peppa Pig
08-11-2012, 05:57 PM
My main one is has anyone ever been told they need to change their mindees on the bathroom floor. I have a changing unit set up in my lb's room but have been informed that when you open a nappy faecal spores enter the atmosphere and then land on toys etc so they cant be played with. I understand infection control is paramount but is this right?

Other things include

putting a lock on a panel in my toilet the needs a screwdriver/knife to prize open

T

i have never heard if this, i change mine on mats in the lounge, i have loads of exposed wood, no way would i be painting it. the light cord can be cleaned with a bleach solution easily enough. what on earth was she on about with the toilet lock?

very extreme to me

Pipsqueak
08-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I just had my pre reg inspection and I have a few questions. Hope someone can help?

Other things include

There was other things to as I expected but just not sure if some of the list is a bit extreme.

Also the inspector hadnt red my policies or procedures before she visited and has told me will need 3/4 visits before registration.

Also I have put a lot of effort into my policies and house and paid out a lot of money to now be told I canb only have one over and one under 5 ( I have one of each myself)

What a load of bunkam and I would advise you to challenge this. Its not just extreme its absolute rubbish and overly picky and sounds like someone was just trying to sound big and clever and failing!

yes 'spores' are realeased but that could be the same of being in the bathroom etc....
re the lock on the panel - if you have RA'd and decided that you can keep children safe without then I would politely decline
again RA the light cord - I clean my light cord with a cloth and some disinfectant and spray
relay the tiles... well if that inspector wants to do that for you I'd let them !!! seriously are the tiles that badly spaced and dangerous? second opinion would be asked for before you do anything
cover exposed wood - are they being serious ... why? they are telling you to alter your home without good or reasonable reason. there is nothing wrong with exposed wood and I would be asking then what about Ofsteds love of 'natural materials' (including wood) - should be paint them first?

Twaddle and you should complain

silvermist
08-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Im finding this way to extreme! I cant believe she said she needs another 3 to 4 visits!!! I have tiled flooring, no comment made, i have exposed wood, no comment made, I use a changing mat on the floor in the cloakroom outside the playroom, no comment made!!! I think some of those requests are way too extreme hun!

lilac_dragon
08-11-2012, 06:31 PM
I find it silly but hey who am I to judge, I'm the person who was told by Ofsted to put a padlock on the door to my front lounge because my husband smokes in there in the evening when the children have all gone. They wanted the door padlocked even if he was in there during the day (FIRE HAZARD?????) their reasoning was that the children might let themselves in there - despite the fact that the handle is at my chin height - and they can't reach it, and the other fact that ........er I might actually not allow them to go in.!!!
Have also been told to get rid of climbing frame as too dangerous and replace it with a tree house, and that I should consider allowing the children to play in my daughters bedroom - she's an adult!
I also had to take the little slip catch off of my toilet door in case the children locked themselves in (held on with 2 small screws - 1 yank and it's off) .As the door is a lightweight hardboard door it's not possible to put on a substantial door handle with carer access lock, so it remains unlocked and I have to stand guard duty if anyone needs to use it. Some of the older ones refuse to go until they get home!
I also know a chminder who gave up when told that she had to have all her floors levelled - in her 500 year old farmhouse. Nothing dangerous, just slopey.

i'm sure others will be able to add to the list of crazy comments!

sarah707
08-11-2012, 06:34 PM
I know that SCSWIS in Scotland do have different rules to Ofsted / England but your actions do seem rather extreme.

Have you got anything in writing yet?

I would wait until you have an action letter and then challenge it with the inspector's line manager.

We are here if you need help with the letter or anything xx

katflynn83
08-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks everyone,

My OH seems to think she is a bit power mad lol.

We are going to do everything on the list and then surely I cant be declined? If there is still a problem then will investigate getting another inspector. My friend recently registered and she said this sounded like a lots of rubbish

caz3007
08-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Was wondering if this was actually Ofsted or a DO, as sounds a bit more like the things they suggest from reading on here. Do Ofsted really visit 3/4 times before registering

sarah707
08-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Was wondering if this was actually Ofsted or a DO, as sounds a bit more like the things they suggest from reading on here. Do Ofsted really visit 3/4 times before registering

The member is in Scotland Caz.

They do have slightly different rules such as wearing disposable aprons to change nappies - but I think this member's actions are a bit harsh.

xx

caz3007
08-11-2012, 07:34 PM

They do have slightly different rules such as wearing disposable aprons to change nappies - but I think this member's actions are a bit harsh.

xx

Thank you Sarah, I didnt realise.

BucksCM
08-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Hi everyone,

Other things include

I'm sorry?....WHAT???:eek:
Where are you? What part of the country?
I've NEVER heard anything SO...well...I can't find the right word....proposterous (sp?)!!!:panic:
I would be challenging this straight away!
I think Hitler has been reincarnated as an over zealous inspector!!
The only thing I will grace a reply with is the number of children you can have...it does depend on how many of your own you have that are under 8 and the size of your house, as each child had to have a certain amount of square footage.

BucksCM
08-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks everyone,

My OH seems to think she is a bit power mad lol.

We are going to do everything on the list and then surely I cant be declined? If there is still a problem then will investigate getting another inspector. My friend recently registered and she said this sounded like a lots of rubbish

I wouldn't!
Challenge it first before relaying floors and painting wood!!
I have never honestly heard such :censored:!!

BucksCM
08-11-2012, 07:55 PM

xx

"Bit harsh" is an understatement!!
Whether in scotland or not...to be told to paint the wood in my house or relay a floor or even to be told about not changing a baby on a changing table because or spores!!...really?!?!?...spores would be let out where ever you change the baby!! Maybe get a bubble room specifically for changing babies? while wearing a mask, gloves, apron and full hazmat suit!!!!!

lynncjt
08-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Not sure where the Inspector got their information from, the document that is used in Scotland is http://www.documents.hps.scot.nhs.uk/hai/infection-control/guidelines/infection-prevention-control-childcare.pdf and I can't see anything in there about wood etc.

It seems very excessive in a home environment! I previously worked in the NHS and I know there untreated wood was not allowed but that's a different environment. I know on my Childminding induction course we were told everything is 'proportional' to the risk. ie Childminders can have different standards to a restaurant or hospital! I would definitely challenge this, my inspector was very pragmatic about risk.

scottishlass
08-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Hi

I am in Scotland and recently had my pre-reg too. My inspector also said it is best practice to change nappies on a change mat on the bathroom floor. I also had to fit an extra lock on a garden gate and she checked that I had my mains powered smoke alarms and fire blanket etc. I didnt get anything about tiles or wood mentioned. I had 1 pre-reg visit but there has been a backlog so still waiting on it going through!! Have been told tom/mon so heres hoping!

Also I got told will be 6 under the age of 16 with no more than 3 of those being under school age and only one can be a baby under 12 months - 6 is including my 2 girls who are both at school. Also after my visit I got a written letter confirming changes I was to make - I would't to anything till you see what is in writing. Good luck!

danasdaycare
08-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Hi,

Firstly, argggh what a nightmare for you!

I am Edinburgh. My inspector pre reg was here once for two hours. She ensured that she had read all my paperwork before, went through it all, gave suggestions and so on. She questioned our lr windows being safety glass. I only had to write back saying, yes all kite marked glass is safety glass and she was ok with it. Not even mentioned by my next (different) inspector.

I think this is the point, one person wants this, while another wants that.

Obviously you have thought about good hygiene practice. I did see in a infection control publication that the use of bleach is discouraged in a childcare setting (due to fumes?).

This inspector has her approach, which is unreasonable if you can show you are lowering risks (or there is not a risk) for any points she has made and she refuses point blank to progress further.

As others have said, show your risk assessment/research (re faecal spores), and then escalate if no success.

I did have to escalate my case as I felt it was taking too long (March to June) before I got full report and registration. Within 2 days of complaining, I was registered.

OakTree
09-11-2012, 10:03 AM
That all sounds a bit extreme to be honest.
I have just registered, I had only one pre-reg visit and I didn't have any of my safety equipment in place. I was given a list of things to install such as cupboard locks, safety film on glass, smoke detector etc. One I had everything installed I sent an email to say it was all done. Within a week of doing this I was registered. The whole reg process took 4 and a bit months and that is because it was held up by a reference.

xx

doris127
09-11-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm in Scotland too and been registered for years.

What they are asking you to do does not seem proportionate at all. Unfortunately there will always be a few "rogue" CI officers who seem to go off at a tangent of their own. I would suggest you could phone the SCMA helpline. I don't know if you are a member or not - possibly not as you are in the early stages of registering but they will be able to give you advice with registering in general. They also do take note of some of the more obscure requests that people get from the CI and feed it back to them so they can be addressed.

Good luck!