PDA

View Full Version : How would you handle this situation?

Cassie
07-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I look after two 6 year olds after school,they are in the same class,play together really well and have the same interests.When they arrive from school I leave them together in the playroom whilst I start tea for the younger children.The kitchen is right next to the playroom, I can hear them at all times and constantly check on them.One of the parents has told me today that her daughter said the other mindee had exposed himself to her....this happened two weeks ago but she only told mom last night. Would you speak to parents or deal with it yourself by taking steps to supervise at all times,would you speak to the mindee involved? Really have no idea how to deal with this and I'm a bit worried about repercussions....

Rubybubbles
07-11-2012, 08:31 PM
At your house?

I would def take it as a concern and write it up, someone hopefully will come along with more advice.

I do think it is a safeguarding issue,

Pipsqueak
07-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Kids of this age 'expose' themselves all the time - its all part of growing up
Some children are less inhibited than others - perhaps because the rest of their family are.

I would not consider it a biggie or a safeguarding issue...
however I would write it up and monitor closely.
Perhaps do some topics about private parts and respecting others and so on....
nudity and the naked body isn't wrong or dirty and should not be considered so

Cassie
07-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks Pip, in my own mind i had the same opinion as you...i just want to be prepared in case this parent decides to make an issue of it.

blue bear
07-11-2012, 09:35 PM
I have conversations with my mindees all the time regarding how because I'm a childminder and there are rules that mean you can't do things at my house that you might do at home.
This situations is the sort of thing that might prompt me to talk about these sort of rules and how you can't do that at my house and we have to think of everyone etc etc.
He's a six year old, still only little so I'd not make a great big deal of it to be honest. I'd write it up and what action I took -talked to child-reassure mum you have dealt with the situation then just keep an extra close eye on what they get up to.

BucksCM
07-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Made me giggle as I remembered an incident at mindee's house.
My dd was at mindee's house (as we are close as families, and she plays over there)
Mindee's dad goes up to bedroom to find dd bent over and mindee sniffing her bum!!
They were about 4 at the time...it was a long time ago!!
When asked what they were doing "I just wanted to know what her bum smelled like!"
Mindee's dad didn't tell me, told dh in the pub and dh told me. (said he didn't want to tell me as he wasn't sure how I'd react!)
I was like, they are kids, and that's the sort of thing they do!!

gegele
08-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Mindee boy, DD and DS did it last summer in the garden behind play house. Kids needed to check who was like who:D

we had conversation of : those are your private and we do not show them to each other. we show them to mummy or daddy or doctor if there's something wrong with it otherwise we keep it in our pants. they were ok with it, talked to parents who said the same thing. case close.

when I have a new mindee they all come " to ask me somthing" when I change the nappie the first time, then someone confirm which group the baby belongs to and we move on LOL

EmmaReed84
08-11-2012, 06:28 AM
Caiden was in the loo and mindee needed to go. Mindee went to walk in the loo so I told him to just wait as Caiden was just coming out. So mindee stood there and pulled his trousers down to wait :laughing:

I had to tell him to pull them up and wait until he got in the loo... Mindee is only 3, but my 5yr old girl mindee was falling about the floor giggling saying "I saw F's chicken!"