PDA

View Full Version : Next Steps

MrsMacCM
07-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi,

I am new to the forum, so probably posting in the wrong place...but would like some help with next steps and daily observations please.

At the moment I am writing quick observations down on a post it note which goes into each child's file at the end of the day. However, when I had my pre-Ofsted visit I was told that I haven't linked them all with next steps. So for example, there could be one which says "... pointed out of the window and said car today" (quick example!!) So do I need to write a next step for every single observation like this? She also said I need photos to prove that the next steps have been done, but this obviously isn't always possible or pratical. So I am interested to know how everyone else wirtes their next steps in a file...and with photos?

sarah707
07-11-2012, 07:07 PM
You don't need to write a plan for every observation - not all need following up - some are stand alone comments you want to share with parents.

You don't need to take huge amounts of photos either - although it's nice to have some (with parents written permission of course).

If, for example, John is learning to pedal his bike your next steps would say that you are going to give him lots of opportunities to practice. You could then include a photo showing how he's managed to do it!!

This wouldn't work every time though - sometimes a few brief words saying what the child has done are enough.

Hth :D

blue bear
07-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I use the daily diary to share moments with parents and use the leaning journal for observations, all my observations are done because they mean something ifyswim, therefore they are all linked to eyfs and next steps written down, these next steps form my planning. When I have carried out something from next steps I note it in the lj, sometimes I have a photo most times I don't.