PDA

View Full Version : Do-able? or not?

Bananabrain
07-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Has anyone made gingerbread houses with their mindees? Thinking of making mini ones so they can take them home.
Does royal icing stick? Obviously can't use hot caramel!
Is it do-able or am I just making my life hard?
Maybe I should stick to Christmas cupcakes or mince pies?
What do you lovely people think?

JCrakers
07-11-2012, 12:12 PM
DD aged 10 had a gingerbread house for Xmas last year. It looked fab on the packaging :laughing:

All we needed to do was get it out of the box and stick it together....lol We had so many problems it looked like a derelict building when we had finished. We just ended up eating the broken pieces of gingerbread, was quite tasty

Sounds like a great idea, hope you have more luck than we did :thumbsup:

silvermist
07-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Ive made one for the family and it was tricky for an adult let alone los :o.

You could bake house shaped biscuits and let los decorate them with those icing pens you can get. Just a thought xx

moggy
07-11-2012, 12:46 PM
I made one myself, it was very very tricky, took lots of waiting and propping up while icing dried! Certainly not a child-friendly activity... but, decorating a finished house with sweets and icing could be fun!

k1rstie
07-11-2012, 01:00 PM
You could bake house shaped biscuits and let los decorate them with those icing pens you can get

this is a good idea, you could also put boiled sweets in the windows to melt to make stained glass windows

loocyloo
07-11-2012, 01:04 PM
i would say its more of a one on one adult & child activity!

i've made lots of houses in the past and required copious amounts of royal icing or melted chocolate ( allowed to get almost cool! ) to hold everything together, plus several tins of beans ( etc! ) to hold everything up whilst it sets, and don't get me started on fitting a roof !!!

we used to make stained glass windows and then put a tealight inside ( looked lovely, but you need a chimney ( or at least a hole in the roof! )

you could make stained glass window biscuits - make biscuits and cut out a hole in centre. bake biscuits. a few minutes before they are done, take them out and put broken up clear boiled sweets in the holes. back in the oven and take out a few minutes later. allow to cool and then decorate! these work best on silicone paper/mats as you can peel it off the melted sweets !!!!

loocyloo
07-11-2012, 01:04 PM
this is a good idea, you could also put boiled sweets in the windows to melt to make stained glass windows

LOL! great minds think alike! ;)

Bananabrain
07-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Yup, just as I thought:laughing: That's why I'm bananabrain. Cos' I just can't resist making my life as complicated as possible:laughing:
I have done gingerbread men which was hugely successful. Also done stained glass biscuits which was a huge pain.
Couldn't work out how to break boiled sweets so teenage son ended up smashing with a rolling pin resulting in thousands of sticky shards all over the kitchen:laughing:
I am so glad I have you lot to make me see reason:laughing: I will stick to mince pies and cupcakes this year and save myself the headache.