PDA

View Full Version : Phonetic alpahbet

eddie
06-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Not sure if I have put this in the right section!

I have a LO 2 yrs 9 mths who is able to spell their name but using the proper letter sounds rather than the phonetic way. I always thought that they should learn the phonics sounds of each letter before starting school as this is how schools teach reading or am I completely wrong?!

karens knippers
06-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Most schools have gone back to jolly phonics.Although child knows @adult alphabet sounds is not a prob. I would do both letter sounds with child and once at pre school/school ask which they use and use that at home to compliment childs learning and explain to parents which alphabet you are using and why.:)

eddie
06-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Most schools have gone back to jolly phonics.Although child knows @adult alphabet sounds is not a prob. I would do both letter sounds with child and once at pre school/school ask which they use and use that at home to compliment childs learning and explain to parents which alphabet you are using and why.:)

Thanks, Mom of LO is a primary teacher so I would have thought she would know what they can and can't do so am happy to teach both until they go to school.

loocyloo
06-11-2012, 01:43 PM
our school teach phonic sounds and letter names for each letter. when they are doing spellings they are asked to spell out loud using letter names.

kindredspirits
06-11-2012, 05:29 PM
my son at 2 knew all the proper letter names - now at 5 1/2 he reads perfectly and has never learnt phonics (home educated) - so i wouldn't worry too much! :thumbsup:

chez
07-11-2012, 06:32 AM
I teach the mindees the letter sounds - phonics, ill correct their wrong sounds positivly and encourage the use of phonics. I also provide parents with the phonic knowledge, to support mindees. I now have a just turned 4 year old who is reading _ completed osbourn book level 1 of the tree, aand is writing many words unaided, diesnt start school til 2013