PDA

View Full Version : National Insurance Contribtions

linda2girls
05-11-2012, 01:26 PM
For those of you who pay tax, do you pay both NI Class 2 and NI Class 4 contributions?

Thanks,
Linda.

nipper
05-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Only Class 2 for me at the moment, until I make my millions!

Bess
05-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Hi I have just started chilminding and don't have any children unil January. I have registered with tax office as self-emplyed, when do I start paying NI contributions

loocyloo
05-11-2012, 03:21 PM
i pay class 2 on a monthly direct debit. i'm sure the tax office sorted that out when i registered as self employed.

i pay class 4 when i submit my tax return and they work out how much tax and national insurance i owe. it is then collected alongside my tax.

x

bunyip
05-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Hi I have just started chilminding and don't have any children unil January. I have registered with tax office as self-emplyed, when do I start paying NI contributions

They should send out bills twice a year (April and October?) or you can pay by direct debit. It's worth calling them on 0845 915 4655 to check the arrangements. HMRC departments don't always talk to one another, so not safe to assume that registering as self-employed means the NI people are necessarily aware of your existence.

Also the rules are that you are responsible for paying, even if they forget to bill you. No, it isn't fair. It isn't meant to be fair. It's just the way things are. :p

Btw, you can apply to get a 'small earnings exemption' if you earn less than £5,595 (? I think that's the figure.) Do remember that you'll need to ensure sufficient contributions in order to claim full state pension, certain benefits, etc.

Bess
05-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks Loocyloo, I will wait for HMRC to get in touch.

Bess
05-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks bunyip You are maybe right I shouldn't persume anything. Thanks for the number I will ring them.