PDA

View Full Version : do people really think this?

marie2012
05-11-2012, 12:15 PM
I know I'm not registered but seeing the money and effort I have already put in and the wonderful job u all do this has really annoyed me. A lady on my facebook not local has just put a status up and is moaning that she needs a childminder so has looked about in her area. She seems horrified that she has been quoted 650 a month I'm only presuming this is full time as she's goung back to work so maybe 3.50 an hour, when childminding only go to playgroups (she doesn't want her 6 month old baby near the naughty kids) and we don't exactly pay out for anything to look after children. Feel free to ignore just needed to rant :) x

WibbleWobble
05-11-2012, 12:31 PM
oh dont worry there are a lot of folk out there who think like that...funnily enough they never want to do our job :rolleyes:

as one of the lovely cms on here always says

"just wave and smile, wave and smile"

wibble xxx

bunyip
05-11-2012, 12:39 PM
If you want to see some real CM-bashing, just lurk around on Netmums for a while. :D

Seriously, I can see both sides of this. I'm personally aware (as will all on this forum) of how little we earn; how insecure that income is; the high cost-to-income ratio; the unpaid hours; etc. etc. I did a calculation earlier this year, taking into account my income, costs, and actual hours spent on everything (including training, planning, etc.) - and found out I actually made around £2 per hour worked :p. But I'm also very conscious of taking a sizable chunk out of parents' incomes.

It's a basic socio-economic problem which is the inevitable result of the 'dual income family'. When a small proportion of families first began to have 2 working parents, they briefly enjoyed a financial advantage over those that didn't. The unintended consequence was that it drove up house prices and pretty much forced every family to go dual-income just to keep up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the idea of women having the right to work. But another problem for CMs is that the traditional "women's work" of looking after children remains sorely undervalued, with even working women and many feminists looking down on it, whilst OTOH putting on a pedestal the idea of a "proper job" or career. So the money that parents want to pay for childcare doesn't reflect the value of the care provided. It reflects a continuing Victorian paternalist view of 'domestic' work which owes more to Upstairs Downstairs and Down-turn Abbey than it does to the reality of properly qualified and regulated childcare.

What I find most annoying is the type of people who moan and the arguments they employ. The moaners are generally not the low-income families or those struggling to get back into work. It's the latte-mums who are, on the whole, a darned sight better off than we are. Also, it's rare to hear someone say, "I chose to have a child, and I chose to have a career, so I'm perfectly ready to pay what it costs to do both."

OMG, now I'm ranting. :laughing::p

marie2012
05-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Yes ive seen some of the things on net mums :s.

I'm sure there are lots of parents that appreciate the work I just don't think people should start jumping to the conclusion of what goes on and this job is obviously very well paid for little work and no expenses lol.

I'm off to wave and smile :) x

caz3007
05-11-2012, 01:32 PM
I work with a single mum who is on a low wage and she has had a big drop in her tax credits due to a mistake made by her wages dept, but has appealed and its not going to change. She is struggling through to April but never once has she made me feel guilty about the quite large proportion of her income she pays me to care for her LO. She appreciates all I do and the flexibility I offer her and tells me so regularly. All this from a woman who earns a pittance herself really for the long hours she does

bunyip
05-11-2012, 02:01 PM
I work with a single mum who is on a low wage and she has had a big drop in her tax credits due to a mistake made by her wages dept, but has appealed and its not going to change. She is struggling through to April but never once has she made me feel guilty about the quite large proportion of her income she pays me to care for her LO. She appreciates all I do and the flexibility I offer her and tells me so regularly. All this from a woman who earns a pittance herself really for the long hours she does

Hear hear!

3 big myths of the politicians/economists:-

Wealth is created. No, it isn't. It's simply transferred from person to person.
"If you work hard, you'll get on." No. The people working hardest are getting nowhere, whilst their bosses are enjoying a cruise.
You can only persuade the "wealth-creators" to keep working by guaranteeing them huge rewards and low taxes. You can only persuade the workers to keep working by threatening them with the sack.

I feel another 'Citizen Bunyip' reply in the air. :o

WibbleWobble
05-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Hear hear!

"If you work hard, you'll get on." No. The people working hardest are getting nowhere, whilst their bosses are enjoying a cruise.
You can only persuade the "wealth-creators" to keep working by guaranteeing them huge rewards and low taxes. You can only persuade the workers to keep working by threatening them with the sack.

i hear you brother....power to the people

i think we should form the "forum popular front"

wibble xxxx6598

FussyElmo
05-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Hear hear!

Go citizen bunyip :D

Ps your avatar should be wolfie:laughing:

WibbleWobble
05-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Go citizen bunyip :D

Ps your avatar should be wolfie:laughing:

oh please dont....i have a BIG thing for robert lyndsey as Wolfie Smith..........swooonnnnnnn( my guilty secret - OH knows all about it...he just rolls his eyes and mentions my "thing" for long dark haired men from the 1970s)

I will be getting all hot and bothered everytime Bunyip makes a post!!!!:blush::blush::blush:

wibble, now lying down in a dark room....

FussyElmo
05-11-2012, 02:39 PM
oh please dont....i have a BIG thing for robert lyndsey as Wolfie Smith..........swooonnnnnnn( my guilty secret - OH knows all about it...he just rolls his eyes and mentions my "thing" for long dark haired men from the 1970s)

I will be getting all hot and bothered everytime Bunyip makes a post!!!!:blush::blush::blush:

wibble, now lying down in a dark room....

There you go bunyip you can make wibble wobble more wibbly wobbly everytime you post :laughing::laughing:

bunyip
05-11-2012, 03:34 PM
There you go bunyip you can make wibble wobble more wibbly wobbly everytime you post :laughing::laughing:

And he's a 'local' to here too.

That'll wobble her wibble. :rolleyes:

WibbleWobble
05-11-2012, 05:32 PM
And he's a 'local' to here too.

That'll wobble her wibble. :rolleyes:

oh crikey my wibble doesnt need anymore wobble.....think of my poor old knees!!!!

wibble xxx