PDA

View Full Version : Planning for 8 month old

Tinkerbell1979
04-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Hi,

I'm struggling with planning and how I need to document this to show Ofsted.

Would anyone be willing to share how they plan, how they document it ?

Also would anyone be willing to help me out with planning for an 8 month old (I have only been minding 5 weeks) ?

TIA

Jenny

sarah707
04-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Planning for little ones is about following up their interests, learning styles, abilities, new things they are doing at home etc with activities you know they will enjoy doing next.

So if mum says lo has been trying to roll over at home you could note that as an observation and plan some fun rolling practice.

It's also about following their routine, so make sure you have it noted in their Learning Journey and keep it updated regularly as they change their sleep / eating etc times.

Hth :D

Rick
14-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Planning for little ones is about following up their interests, learning styles, abilities, new things they are doing at home etc with activities you know they will enjoy doing next.

So if mum says lo has been trying to roll over at home you could note that as an observation and plan some fun rolling practice.

It's also about following their routine, so make sure you have it noted in their Learning Journey and keep it updated regularly as they change their sleep / eating etc times.

Hi Sarah,

I have finally got a mindee, starting Friday; a 10 month old girl.

Your reply outlines what could be required for individual planning and planning for next steps, following their interests etc. Is the individual planning sufficient because of course children this young won't be able to partake in any more complex activities than those stated and so can you really plan anything else? Older ones for example, you could plan Xmas activities etc.

Thanks!

Boris
14-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Hi Sarah,

Your reply outlines what could be required for individual planning and planning for next steps, following their interests etc. Is the individual planning sufficient because of course children this young won't be able to partake in any more complex activities than those stated and so can you really plan anything else? Older ones for example, you could plan Xmas activities etc.

Thanks!

Yay Rick, you got a mindee! Congrats! :clapping:

sarah707
14-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi Sarah,

Thanks!

Yes you need to be focussing on individual planning until the child is old enough to join in with group activities.

Even then you change / adapt / differentiate the activities to suit the child's interests :D

Rick
15-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Yay Rick, you got a mindee! Congrats! :clapping:

Thanks Boris. Yes been a few weeks now so a weight off my mind! I can relax a bit now and hopefully more will come! :o

Firefly
16-11-2012, 11:55 AM
I have a 7 month old who is interested in my watch, and water bottles, but only comes 1 day a week.
Am I meant to do observations every time she comes, and plan for the following week?
Or do I plan on the day according to how she is?

I have noted in her daily diary that her hand-eye coordination has increased each week and am helping her to clap at the moment!

Currently we complete lots and lots of different activities (depending on tiredness) including the items above
It gets a bit challenging at the end of the day when she's tired but Mum and Dad don't want her to sleep!

sarah707
16-11-2012, 12:46 PM
I have a 7 month old who is interested in my watch, and water bottles, but only comes 1 day a week.
Am I meant to do observations every time she comes, and plan for the following week?
Or do I plan on the day according to how she is?

I have noted in her daily diary that her hand-eye coordination has increased each week and am helping her to clap at the moment!

Currently we complete lots and lots of different activities (depending on tiredness) including the items above
It gets a bit challenging at the end of the day when she's tired but Mum and Dad don't want her to sleep!

There are a number of things going on here which you need to think about -

1. Your planning is based on what you see and hear. You don't need to write down everything you see and hear - just the main points.

2. Yes as you think about what the child did one week you plan activities for the next - again you don't have to write everything down but you might find it helpful to make some brief notes.

3. You cannot keep a baby awake to follow parents wishes - this is a very big NO NO and if Ofsted find out you will be actioned and probably downgraded. A nursery recently lost their outstanding grade for following a parents wishes and keeping a little one awake. Baby has a right to sleep if tired - it's one of the basic human rights of the child.

I suggest an urgent meeting with mum to chat about her baby's sleep needs.

Firefly
17-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks much Sarah