PDA

View Full Version : Finding an assistant

AliceK
03-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Hi
Assuming you don't know anyone how would you go about finding an assistant and what would they need in order to be able to be left alone with children?

xxx

sarah707
03-11-2012, 07:58 PM
I am not sure how I would find someone... I have always recruited from family... but the rules are -

CRB check and first aid before leaving alone with parents

Authorisation from ofsted

ok from children's parents

2 hours maximum alone with children

Follow the requirements of the Eyfs - induction training, handbook, ongoing CPD, support and supervision, appraisals etc.

Hope this helps :D

AliceK
03-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks Sarah, I have now downloaded a sheet on this from the free resources, now to think where to find someone.
Thanks again.
X x

oxfordshirecm
04-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Thanks Sarah, I have now downloaded a sheet on this from the free resources, now to think where to find someone.
Thanks again.
X x

Hi, I have just recently recruitment an assistant who was not someone I originally knew. I put a free ad on gum tree and in my local newspaper. Found it relatively easy as prepared a telephone interview first, the face to face interviewed the ones I thought had potential then offered a working interview where they cme to my setting for three hours so we could both see how we got on etc. After taking 2 references I have an assistant starting as soon as the CRB has come back :) so excited to have someone to work with.

jadavi
04-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Are you giving her set hours?

AliceK
04-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Hi, I have just recently recruitment an assistant who was not someone I originally knew. I put a free ad on gum tree and in my local newspaper. Found it relatively easy as prepared a telephone interview first, the face to face interviewed the ones I thought had potential then offered a working interview where they cme to my setting for three hours so we could both see how we got on etc. After taking 2 references I have an assistant starting as soon as the CRB has come back :) so excited to have someone to work with.

That sounds good. Can I ask what age group of people you had apply. And be really cheeky and ask what type of thing you asked on your telephone interview?

xxx

AliceK
04-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Are you giving her set hours?

Potentially 3 days a week, set days.

xxx

jadavi
04-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks Alice, what about holidays etc? And if she's sick? How do you cope with the mindees ratio numbers problem?
Hope you dont mind me asking

AliceK
04-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks Alice, what about holidays etc? And if she's sick? How do you cope with the mindees ratio numbers problem?
Hope you dont mind me asking

:laughing: I have no idea. I really haven't.
Someone has asked me if I can have her 2 children, or even just 1 of them if I don't have 2 spaces. I already know her and another mum has also recommended me to her and I would really like to do this for her so thinking about the assistant route. She only needs 3 set days per week. I already have 4 EY's children on my books and they are all shift workers so none of them have set days each week. Some days I may only have 1 child, on rare days I might have all 4. I'm thinking that it would be rare that I would end up with potentially all the other 4 EY's children on the same days as the new child but it is possible which would mean 5 EY's children. I suppose if I had an assistant who was off sick I could grant myself an exception for the 5 on that day??? It's all so much to think about but I really want to be able to work with this parent.
As for holidays / sick pay etc???? I have no idea. Can an assistant be SE???
Can you tell I'm new to all this :blush:

xxxxx

oxfordshirecm
04-11-2012, 08:26 PM
That sounds good. Can I ask what age group of people you had apply. And be really cheeky and ask what type of thing you asked on your telephone interview?

xxx

She is having set hours of 8.30am to 4pm Monday to Friday. I had a mixture of people applying.. From a 16 year old boy to a 60 year old ex teacher. On the whole I was quite pleased that I did not have too many time wasters. All I asked were things like... What childcare experience they had, could they pass a crb, how would they handle a 2 year old having a tantrum, what they liked to do in their spare time, what kind of games would you play with a three year old etc. as I would be working quite a long day with them my main priority at first was that I could get on with them.

As for sick pay- they are self employed so don't pay sick pay- or holiday pay. If they call in sick I will risk assess and grant my self a variation for that day if I feel I can manage, if not then I will have to call a parent to say I couldn't have the child that day. I am lucky that I also have a childminder friend who we help each other out if we have a tough day.

AliceK
04-11-2012, 09:03 PM
She is having set hours of 8.30am to 4pm Monday to Friday. I had a mixture of people applying.. From a 16 year old boy to a 60 year old ex teacher. On the whole I was quite pleased that I did not have too many time wasters. All I asked were things like... What childcare experience they had, could they pass a crb, how would they handle a 2 year old having a tantrum, what they liked to do in their spare time, what kind of games would you play with a three year old etc. as I would be working quite a long day with them my main priority at first was that I could get on with them.

As for sick pay- they are self employed so don't pay sick pay- or holiday pay. If they call in sick I will risk assess and grant my self a variation for that day if I feel I can manage, if not then I will have to call a parent to say I couldn't have the child that day. I am lucky that I also have a childminder friend who we help each other out if we have a tough day.

Thank you so much for that, it's really helpful :thumbsup:

xxx