PDA

View Full Version : giving up dummy

louise
20-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi, Just after some advice. Mindee is 2 and a half his Mum has strated trying to get him to go without a dummy. It started yesterday he arrived with out one. He told me that he sent it to father christmas so he can get a christmas bike. Paddy was thrown when he left. Turned up today with two that he found.

He doesnt have one with me at all it is always on top of the buggy if i had forgotten to move it at nap time he will go 'no nununs' and put it on top.
He cried for ages last night over it. I know the habit of him having it as soon as he leaves mine and to mine needs to be broken.

Any advice? I asked the mum if she wanted me to ask you guys as my sons comforter is a huge duck. The only book i can think of is the little princess one. Any others?

Thanks Lou

sarah707
20-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Poor little man ...

Parents must give out the same signals as you or he's going to be so confused! They need to just not give it and make sure there aren't any in the house for him to find.

It will be really hard, but only for a short time and he will eventually forget.

He'll probably find his thumb fairly soon :D

chubbymummy
20-06-2008, 06:08 PM
i'm afraid that was very harsh with my children..

i decided to throw them all out and for a couple of days it was difficult but then they were ok.

crazybones
20-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I took the advice of someone on here over my own son's dummy. He is 2 1/2 and I was being weak :blush: Anyway the advice was to leave the dummy in the bed in the morning and tell the dummy we will see him again at bedtime. The first couple of days were a bit of a nightmare but it did work. A few weeks down the line he has cottoned on to it and says he wants to put it in the sink so does bring it downstairs in his mouth. So now I do a little trick as his bib goes over his head for breakfast I grab the dummy from underneath and take it away. A couple of protests later he forgets for the rest of the day. I keep them totally out of sight now during the day and when his PJ's go on he knows he gets it back.

louise
20-06-2008, 06:16 PM
I thought that would be the way. He had his fingers in hes mouth yesterday morning. Thing is he has only ever had it a handful of times with me. I think she metioned about giving up and i never handed it to him sometimes he took it but he hasn't had it for ages here.

I was thinking about maybe doing a book? He saw his picture on his obs folder and got excited.

Lou

kindredspirits
20-06-2008, 06:17 PM
when my son was about 14 months old we lost his favourite dummy, and the same brand etc had made the teats smaller and harder so he point blank refused them. it was a tough few days even though we were offering alternatives it wasn't good enough, and now at 17 months he doesn't ever think of them or need them (which i am very proud of him for!) so i really think its a case of being strict, they will soon learn to live without it - and not all children who liked dummys need to replace it with another comforter, my son was the child that would takeeveryone elses dummys at tumbletots, and used to carry around 3 (one in the mouth and 1 in each hand) and now he doesn't use anything as a comforter at all.

Hannahlg
20-06-2008, 06:26 PM
a little boy who we had who had a dymmy he is now jsut just turned 4 a few weeks back.

He started at my setting a week after his first birthday when he firsted started he had it in a lot of the time but oven a few months we got it where he just had it at naps times

and when he was at home he only had it at naps times or when he was ill etc. mum didnt wont him to have it all the time either.

he used to come with it in a moring in his mouth give it to me i would put it in his bag i would then get it out at nap time he then give it me back when woke up and then he got it again when mum came, but when mum came it was like5.15pm and was tried etc so she allwoed it him then he came one day when came back after xams break when he was 2 and half and he had give it santa and he has been fine with out it.

all the others didnt have a dummy but we have a baby starting in setpmber who has a dummy but not all time as the babies lder borther comes aslo and he dont allways have it in when he comes with mm to pick older borther up

Pudding Girl
20-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Poor little man ...

Parents must give out the same signals as you or he's going to be so confused! They need to just not give it and make sure there aren't any in the house for him to find.

It will be really hard, but only for a short time and he will eventually forget.

completely agree. My mindees when I took them on, part of what they wanted was help in weaning off the dummy.No prob says I - but they turn up with them plugged in, and I have been round on occasion ( babysitting or dropping off something etc) on weekends and they are plugged in then too.

With me, they come in, take coats off and put the dummies away in their bag, and they only get them at nap time, and then away in the bag again. They cope jsut fine without them, and F's speech has come on in leaps and bounds, his pronunciation is much clearer - so it really riles me that they aren't doing it too.

I wouldn't be looking to replace it with a different comforter as there'll then be problems with that later on.

louise
20-06-2008, 06:57 PM
The thing is he doesnt have it at all when he is with me not even for naps.Im not sure if he has it during the day at weekends. it has been explained that he needs to be a big boy like my Ds . Im so glad his is a huge duck. Due to that he has never been able to take him in the buggy. He comes downstairs but he is played with and cuddled or used as a cushion.

jayne
21-06-2008, 09:15 AM
I found the dummy fairy a great idea you buy a gift bag and talke to the child about the dummy fairy and how she collects dummies from boys and girls that are big boys and girls know they put all their dummies in the bag when they go to bed and the fairy leaves them a present it doesnt have to be anything big or expensive I have lots of friends and parents how have tried this and it as worked

Mollymop
21-06-2008, 09:25 AM
I seemed quite lucky with my own children as neither of them would take a dummy ever. I tried when they were babes but they both pushed them out with their tongues.

I had mil and sil on my case before about "where is her dummy" and when I used to say she has never had one, they slagged me off about it!

breezy
21-06-2008, 07:26 PM
my son gave his dummies to father christmas, my last mindee gave hers to the easter bunny!!!!!!!!!!
Current mindee doesnt have his with me except for naps but walks round everywhere with it in when with mum :(

miffy
22-06-2008, 07:14 AM
I found the dummy fairy a great idea you buy a gift bag and talke to the child about the dummy fairy and how she collects dummies from boys and girls that are big boys and girls know they put all their dummies in the bag when they go to bed and the fairy leaves them a present it doesnt have to be anything big or expensive I have lots of friends and parents how have tried this and it as worked

I've never tried this but think it's a great idea!

miffy xx

Heaven Scent
22-06-2008, 09:53 AM
I do the same with dummies with my little ones they go into their bags along with any comforters and/or special toys and they only come out for sleep time or if they appear to be unwell (once they have settled in that is - I'm not that hard). Nothing belonging to them ever comes out with us during the day no matter what. I even have my own spares of their types of dummies that I buy for them and keep in my going out bag in case of an emergency. I also have some in the steralizer in case the parents ever forget one - Which is never likely as despite the fact that they say they don't want the children to have them they still arrive and leave with them plugged in.

I tried my 2 with dummies my son had one now and again until he was 3 months and then refused it but at 6 months he put his thumb in and sucked that until he was about 4. My DD wouldnt entertain one at all and didn't suck her fingers either she did attach herself to a blanket though but only liked it over her at bedtime or if she was resting on the couch and this only came about from watching Baby Bop on Barney Because she thought we'd think it was cute!!!!!!!!

I introduced my two to dummies because I felt that if they were children who would need a comforter then I wanted them to have something I could clean scower and disinfect and replace without much problems -I couldn't do that with soft toys, blankets, or fingers - nor could I throw their fingers and thumbs in the bin or give them to Santa, so even though I hated them I decided dummies were the lesser evil. I had millions and they always had lids on when they were not in the steraliser and if were out and DS dropped it out came a clean one - no wonder he got rid of it at 3 months he probably didn't like the underlying flavour of boiling water or steralising fluid. I was thrilled when he refused it but was gutted that he had found his thumb I wasn't surprised though as he was sucking his thumb in his scan pictures Which is why I bought the dummies I had them in ready for when he was born. - Best laid plans eh???? That'll teach me not to be such a control freak
I'm much less anal now. I was 34 when he was born and I thought having worked with children for so long that I knew it all!!!!!!!!

Banana
23-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Brilliant book about giving up dummies is 'the last noo noo'

Its a great book, my daughter and I are big fans and its quite funny. Its all about Marlon the monster and its well worth a read! The mindees love it too - even the ones who havnt had a dummy before!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Last-Noo-Noo-by-Jill-Murphy-Walkers-Books-NEW_W0QQitemZ160253798957QQihZ006QQcategoryZ1093QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ebay have a couple of listings for it and im sure amazon do too

Its hard work getting the dummy 'fix' broken, I went through hell for a while with my daughter but this book definitly helped!

x

butterfly
23-06-2008, 07:46 PM
what is the little princess book? i'm desperate to get my D to give up hers. We've just started saying that she can have a bike if she only has hers in bed. my dad just found some research that suggests child who have dummies are more prone to ear infections which my d suffers from all the time!

don't know how i can get her to give it up entirely though. think i'll have to wait till our baby is bigger - d keeps stealing her brothers!

Blaze
23-06-2008, 07:50 PM

What I was going to suggest!:) :thumbsup:

louise
24-06-2008, 09:41 AM
what is the little princess book? i'm desperate to get my D to give up hers. We've just started saying that she can have a bike if she only has hers in bed. my dad just found some research that suggests child who have dummies are more prone to ear infections which my d suffers from all the time!

don't know how i can get her to give it up entirely though. think i'll have to wait till our baby is bigger - d keeps stealing her brothers!

this is the one i ment
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Want-Dummy-Little-Princess-Story/dp/0007122985
My lill sister was the same mum tried to get her off them and she just took our brothers. That is part of the reason i hoped our son never took to them. We did give them to him when he had colic but we had to hold it.

louise
24-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Brilliant book about giving up dummies is 'the last noo noo'

Its a great book, my daughter and I are big fans and its quite funny. Its all about Marlon the monster and its well worth a read! The mindees love it too - even the ones who havnt had a dummy before!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Last-Noo-Noo-by-Jill-Murphy-Walkers-Books-NEW_W0QQitemZ160253798957QQihZ006QQcategoryZ1093QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ebay have a couple of listings for it and im sure amazon do too

Its hard work getting the dummy 'fix' broken, I went through hell for a while with my daughter but this book definitly helped!

x

That looks good. I think it will interest him. I have texted his Mum as im off today and hope she has a look for it today.

Thank you each and everyone of you for the advice.