PDA

View Full Version : Reassurance needed for new CM!

MrsP2C
02-11-2012, 12:24 PM
I've just done a settling-in session with my first mindee who's 8 months old and despite raising two children of my own, it felt quite daunting being alone & in charge of someone else's child for the first time!! I haven't had a baby to care for some time and it was like having a newborn again.

Tell me it gets easier and will come flooding back to me because if I feel like this after an hour how on earth will I cope will a full day in 2 weeks. Any hints on settling in a clingy baby and what to do in these early weeks also much appreciated:)
MrsP2C

JCrakers
02-11-2012, 12:32 PM
It gets easier over time I can reassure you :D

Once they settle and get used to you and you get used to routines they start to become part of the family.
I've been working with children for 18yrs and I still get a little nervous with new children starting but it doesn't last long.

Just give baby lots of love and attention as at that age its the bonding that is important :D
And soon you'll wonder what you were worrying about

leeanne910
02-11-2012, 12:32 PM
hi im not a registered CM yet but i been a nursery nurse for 10 yrs :D

in all rightness it can take a child 2-4 weeks to get used to 'being left'. Encourage the parent to give a kissy say bye i will be back later and then go and phone in 30min - 1hr not to hang about as kids then pick up on "oohhh if i cry she will STAY!!!! :D" and let the parent know settling in takes a while but as soon as you go i bet they calm.... distract the littlely "ohhh lets go and look in the garden see if we can see any birds.... can u hear them" you know what im getting at?

:D hope that helps a tad x

cathtee
02-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Totally agree with JCrackers, I've been minding for over 20 years and it is always daunting when you have a little baby to look after but it
does get easier

MrsP2C
02-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Thank you for the hand holding & suggestions much appreciated. I've realised I put my first mindee when I've actually already done some ad hoc minding for a toddler & 7 yr old which didn't faze me at all so it's clearly just having a baby again that's totally thrown me :blush:

We've got a nice gradual settling in: hour today, 2 x 1 hour dropping off sessions next week plus meeting up at a baby group one morning then official start the following week but mum's work have just deferred her return to work by 2 weeks so she's picking up after lunch for until she's back at work (but still paying me for the full day:clapping:)

jackie 7
02-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Long walks are great for passing time and keeping them occupied..