PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a local childminder group - with no luck :(

leeanne910
02-11-2012, 12:23 PM
hi guys i know im not registered yet but am gutted! Took my LO to baby group today at my local CC and i asked bout their childminder group. They had one and stopped it because no childminder came, they did the first week then stopped. i am GUTTED. I REALLY want to build a network of childminder buddies so to speak to talk 'shop' with who understands bout EYFS and policies and RAs etc i love bouncing heads for ideas with someone. I live in halesowen/west midlands and aparently a few go to STOURBRIDGE!!!!! what!!!!! a bit far!!!! :( feel like when i start CMing its going to be sooooo lonely! i will prob wanna employ an assistant just to have company and someone to share ideas with! especialy when you need a bit of inspiration!

I did find out there is all of 4 registered minders in my area... but still..... i would like to meet them... sorry for the moan...just gutted...

JCrakers
02-11-2012, 12:36 PM
You could start one of your own or have a coffee morning and invite them round :D

My only negative of this job is I do get very lonely. There is a childminding group in my town but after going for 6m I didn't go back...very clicky :(

I've managed to find 1 childminder to chat to but she on maternity leave at the moment so weve only got together one. I emailed another as we were both going through the FEEE at the same time, arranged to meet at toddler group and she never turned up so Ive given up :laughing:

loocyloo
02-11-2012, 12:36 PM
all i can suggest is that you contact the childminders direct and suggest meeting up?

there are very few childminders in my area, closest is about 15min drive away! we meet at occaisonal training sessions, but are too busy with own routines to meet during the week! i meet up with minders i have met through the forum in the holidays, and i chat to a couple of minders from where i used to live! other than that all my support comes from the forum, and from friends with or without little children! i have a few friends who are happy to come over and play, or we go and play at their houses and explore wonderful gardens, experience animals and have fun!

cathtee
02-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Hi, I'm sure there is a lady on here from your area I met her at spacehoppers a couple of weeks ago, but typically I have forgotten
her name sorry. If you contact your local childminding information service they can give you a list of numbers, or a local childrens centre
may be able to put you in touch, I hope you manage to meet up with someone soon, I'm too far over for you as i am in Great barr.

If you can't find anyone we are all here for you to chat and give advice

mum24
02-11-2012, 04:32 PM
There was nothing where I am, so I invited other childminders back to my house. I don't have a big house, but I do have a big garden, so in the summer it was great. We now have a thriving group, we now meet in the local center, which surestart pay for us, and have a support worker who has to be there because they pay for the room. This has taken about three years in all, but it is really good, we have all become quite good friends, and support each other in all sorts of ways.
Contact the family information service, there may be something closer, and if not see if there is any help available to help you start a group locally.

Lana10
02-11-2012, 10:22 PM
I have met a few childminders at playgroups do you have a childminder co ordinator who could perhaps pass any phone numbers on?

bunyip
04-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Yes, it can be lonely. But be careful what you wish for. Some groups can be very clicky and controlling.

You could ask your DO for a contact list, or attend NCMA events like the regional forums.

Just remember that you're not necessarily going to get on best with the CMs who live close by: it can be the very cause of tensions and mistrust.

:idea:Find the ones you get on with because they're lovely:littleangel:. You do need to share more than just a postcode. :rolleyes: