PDA

View Full Version : Child wont share

It's a small world
01-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Advice please. Have a child who will not share (5). Plays with same toys all day and wont let anyone play with them . If another child picks them up when they put them down for a few seconds they then start to cry. Have tried timers so equal play time with them . Talks on sharing and how i do not have lots of the same toys. They get upset and constantly moan that someone is playing with 'their' toy. Not sure im cut out for this job . Children never listen feel like i seem to get hard children :-( not sure what to do x

BucksCM
01-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Mmmm...having tried a few things I think i would just turn around and tell them that they are not their toys, they are for everyone and that they have to take turns. At five, they are now being manipulative and trying to get their own way with the crying. Not in my house! Doesn't work! And it doesn't take them long to realise that either!

lilac_dragon
01-11-2012, 04:39 PM
I must admit I have a similar problem, and have tried all the reasoning, the timing etc.
When it's in full flow it can actually get to the point of fisticuffs!!!
We play lots of turn taking games to re-inforce the turn-taking theme, but I have before now resorted to saying "actually - they're ALL MY TOYS, but I'M good at sharing them with you children. If you aren't good at sharing then you will miss a turn " (my own children used to refer to this as the Snakes and Ladders method)
It has actually worked.

sarah707
01-11-2012, 05:32 PM
All the toys here belong to me - and I am very good at sharing.

If a child brings something and can't share it then it has to go away.

If a child has my toys and can't share then we chat about it and they might miss a turn so they can sit and watch others sharing.

We do not do sulking and crying about toys here - we are too busy - they are welcome to sit out if they are feeling tired though!!

I find new children learn very quickly :D