PDA

View Full Version : How to phrase this...very annoyed!

smurfette
01-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Just had my schoolie dropped off nearly 15 minutes early at 945am....yes I am here and yes I already have other mindees here but he is a 9 year old and very energetic! Mum says oh he is being picked up early (about half an hour),,, this does NOT make it ok to drop him off early though does it?! Then again,if the traffic is lighter getting to my house than she expects, is it unreasonable to expect her to sit outside (not sure if it was me I would think so!)...she doesnt now drop off early when it is an 8am start, as had words about that, but does she think cos its midterm she can??

I need to tighten up some policies, and want to send a sort of newsletter out to parents with these issues in, what would be the best way to lay it out and how to phrase 'early pick up does not mean early drop off!!'.... gggrrrrrrr

Mouse
01-11-2012, 11:03 AM
My parent info says something along the lines of:

"the hours agreed between us and written in our contract are the times between which the childcare space is available. They are the earliest and latest times that your child can be dropped off and collected. Please do not bring your child earlier, or collect later than the contracted times unless this has been agreed in advance. If your child is dropped off later than the contracted start time they still need to be collected by the contracted finish time. A late drop off does not allow for a late collection. Similarly, an expected early collection does not mean the child can be dropped off early.
Hours outside the contracted hours can be arranged in advance. You will be advised of any additional fees due."

When first signing up I draw parents' attention to the highlighted areas :thumbsup:

bunyip
01-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Depends on your contract and policies. I'd check those first and tighten up in response if necessary.

I'd have a gentle word with mum in the first instance.

If it's going to happen occasionally, then maybe you should be saying you'll add an early-drop charge (by the full hour - she'll probably think 15 minutes of fee is worth messing you about for.)
If it's going to happen regularly, then renegotiate the contracted hours.
If you really
don't want it happening at all, then say so - and refuse to take them in.

I agree with Mouse. You need to be sure mum knows that she can't simply start early cos she intends to collect early.

Btw, It's to your credit :littleangel: that you've considered the mum's point of view: traffic, and so on. It can be all to easy for us to forget these things and complain when they're early and complain when they're late. Somethings are outside the individual's control. Your thoughtfulness indicates you should have no trouble working this out with the parents. :thumbsup:

mushpea
01-11-2012, 11:18 AM
I had a parent who dropped off 15mins early and collected 15mins late, it started off with 5mins then crept up so I charged her for the extra time, now I charge every half hour so she ended up paying an extra hour a day, only 2 days a week but it still added up and she was rather shocked when her regular amount changed, now when she arrives early she sits outside my house and waits, I can under stand 5mins due to traffic but I knew if I didnt nip this in the bud she would continue to get even earlier.
I would charge her the extra time and when she comments explain that she came outside of contracted times and whilst you can understand 5mins or so its g15mins isn unaceptable.
my other point here is I have children arrive and are paid for from 8am my parent who was arriving early wasnt due to be here unitll 8.15am so in the end she was getting here the same time as my other mindees but paying less which wasnt fair.

lisa1968
03-11-2012, 12:35 AM
I always use the excuse that they are not covered by my insurance if they are dropped off outside of contracted hours-but if they would like to change hours accordingly then they can-at extra charge.....
....works ever time!!:thumbsup: