PDA

View Full Version : The problem with this job is...

JCrakers
31-10-2012, 10:19 AM
I have quite a few children and most of them have been here since I started 5yrs ago :D This is lovely because I know they are happy, parents happy etc.

Everyone must see this problem. As they get older and I take on new babies at the bottom of the age range, the top of the age range doesn't move on iykwim.

So I take on more children from the bottom but end up having huge amounts of children over 8 because they stay with me until they are 12ish. Most of my over 8's were 3-4 so are now 8-9 and probably have another 4yrs with me until they are old enough to stay home alone/let themselves in.
So when mindees start school I take on new babies, but taking children on at the bottom means the amount of children gets larger.

LOL....Anyone else find this? :laughing:

bunyip
31-10-2012, 11:03 AM
I've not been minding long enough to experience this, but can see what you mean.

Here's what I don't undertand.
Children get older one year at a time - so why do I feel like I've been ageing at an ever-accelerating rate since I passed thirty? :panic:

Boris
31-10-2012, 11:40 AM
I can see this might be an issue for me when my oldest lot start school. I have a friend who has had to say that she can't keep them when they go to school which was sad for her and them. Very difficult. I hate dragging hoards of children back from school run too!

watgem
31-10-2012, 11:58 AM
I have this problem and it can affect whether you can take on new mindees as you can't go over ratios, numbers for insurance purposes/local authority numbers for planning permission etc and also in the holidays the big age gap can be challenging, but its hard when you've minded them from little isn't it because they are almost like part f your family, although you know it will reach a point when they wn't want to come

Kirstylob
31-10-2012, 01:21 PM
I am just starting to feel that. I have one child in year 1 and 3 in reception who have been with me since they were 9 months old, I have siblings of some of those children and other younger ones. It's OK during the week but it is hard and very busy in the school holidays!

singingcactus
31-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Nope. :) not a problem for me. I'm a military minder with military kids so 2 years is about my maximum with any child. I like it this way, it means I have a lot of goodbyes to deal with but it keeps my setting fresh lol. I also get loads and loads of photos and updates, especially around this time of year.

AliceK
31-10-2012, 02:49 PM
I was just thinking about this today. When I started out I was sure I didn't want to take on any schoolies. Only problem now is that the ones I took on when they were in nursery are now at school (7yrs old) and still with me. So although I don't really want to do before / after school (apart from my own 2 children) I feel I can't say no as they have been with me since before they started at school. I do though try and limit their time here during school hols :blush:

xxxx

jillplum
31-10-2012, 03:19 PM
This is the reason I look like the pied piper on my way to and from school. luckily quite a few went to comprehensive school last year so it's not too bed now. one of mine has been coming here for 9 years now!

Rubybubbles
31-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Nope. :) not a problem for me. I'm a military minder with military kids so 2 years is about my maximum with any child. I like it this way, it means I have a lot of goodbyes to deal with but it keeps my setting fresh lol. I also get loads and loads of photos and updates, especially around this time of year.

Same lol!! And each time I mOve I don't take on school runs unless really is good around my little mindies!! I have 1 school run in morning tt only and 1. 2 morning and 2 afternoon (oldr sibling) tt only

loocyloo
31-10-2012, 03:53 PM
I have quite a few children and most of them have been here since I started 5yrs ago :D This is lovely because I know they are happy, parents happy etc.

Everyone must see this problem. As they get older and I take on new babies at the bottom of the age range, the top of the age range doesn't move on iykwim.

So I take on more children from the bottom but end up having huge amounts of children over 8 because they stay with me until they are 12ish. Most of my over 8's were 3-4 so are now 8-9 and probably have another 4yrs with me until they are old enough to stay home alone/let themselves in.
So when mindees start school I take on new babies, but taking children on at the bottom means the amount of children gets larger.

LOL....Anyone else find this? :laughing:

YES! i had this before i moved! it was the only way to 'lose' everyone !!! LOL! miss them all terribly!

i've started again with littlies, and although most will end up at schools i won't be able to collect from, all parents have already been asking about holiday spaces! which 'should' be feasible, as long as i don't want to go anywhere !!! either that or buy a minibus !!! LOL !!!

jillplum
31-10-2012, 04:10 PM
I do school run in the morning. Nursery pick up at lunch time and school run in the afternoon. The school is about 5 mins walk from my house but I don't enjoy it in the rain hail and snow!

little chickee
31-10-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm in Scotland and am limited to 6 total - including my own. No over 8's rule here.
As i have 3 school age kids myself - i can only have 3 under 5's.

I am perfectly happy with this!!

I have a cm friens who serves notice when they start school.

lynncjt
31-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm in Scotland as well so limited to 6 in total, fine at moment as I've only just started but can see it getting a problem as the under 5's go to school, difficult to decide who to keep! Hopefully some will go to schools that I can't pick up from.

Carol
31-10-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm in Scotland and am limited to 6 total - including my own. No over 8's rule here.
As i have 3 school age kids myself - i can only have 3 under 5's.

I am perfectly happy with this!!

I have a cm friens who serves notice when they start school.

Something you have taught me today...........total of 6 children regarless oooo
I have 14 on my books.........total in one go 9 so I too look like the piped piper lol

Carol

jillplum
01-11-2012, 10:37 AM
I am curious what happens to the children who start school in Scotland. Are there after school clubs for them?